We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite/Sequoia Trip

Bay Shore, New York
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Yosemite/Sequoia Trip

I am in the midst of planning a week long trip for next May, the week before Memorial day. So far I have booked 3 nights in Yosemite at Wawona and 4 nights at Wuksachi. I hope this will give us plenty of time to Hike and get back off the beaten path a bit. We want to relax, Hike, stargaze, birdwatch and get away from our crazy lives here in New York.

I can't seem to figure out the best flight arrangements . I will be using mileage, (hopefully) so that pretty much limits me to Delta. I looked into Fresno, but I really would prefer a direct flight.

Advice please??? I want to try to get my flights ASAP.

Also, if anyone has any thoughts about my itinerary I would welcome the feedback.

THANKS!!

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,665 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite/Sequoia Trip

Non-stops on Delta would mean looking into the Bay Area or Los Angeles area airports. I think Sacramento has a single JetBlue late night flight that is non-stop from New York, but that doesn't work with your miles.

If you use the Bay Area or Los Angeles area airports then you'll have about a 4.5 to 5 hour drive each way to/from the parks.

Some might tell you to reverse your number of days in each park, 1 more in Yosemite and 1 less in Sequoia/KC. But it will depend upon your preferences.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,948 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite/Sequoia Trip

If your only destinations are Yosemite & Sequoia, then I really think you should reconsider Fresno. Even tho' you 'd have to make a plane change, you'll be only an hour from the Wawona Hotel. The Fresno Airport is much smaller & easier to navigate than the others you're considering. How do the rental car prices compare?

I checked Google Maps for the driving times from OAK~Oakland to Wawona to Sequoia to OAK (12 hrs) and from SFO (12-13 hrs), FAT ~ Fresno (7 hrs) or SJC ~ San Jose (12-13 hrs) Of course this doesn't consider traffic slow downs.

But using airline miles is a great deal, so if one of these airports works best for flight times, just book it!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,004 posts
5,926 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite/Sequoia Trip

Fresno is the best for these 2 parks.

I guess how many legs of the flight are you looking at? 2 - then that makes a lot of sense, as most of the time you would need to fly into a LA or San Francisco airport and then transfer to the airline to go to Fresno.

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite/Sequoia Trip

You can fly to salt lake city then to Fresno on Delta. With FF miles, who knows what route they might book you!! If possible, don't go through SFO. The fog can get real bad, then the small commuter planes (Fresno) will be bumped and bumped. I would try for the salt lake connection so you don't have to fly a prop plane.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemite/Sequoia Trip

If you don't want to fly Fresno, wouldn't it be easiest to fly SFO or OAK, rent a car and drive to Yosemite (4-5 hours) and back from Sequoia to SFO/OAK (another 5 hours) again?

6. Re: Yosemite/Sequoia Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2010, 05:33
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...