We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

highway 395

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
352 reviews
Save Topic
highway 395

I am in the early stages of planning a trip to California next April. On a map it looks as though US 395 forms an interesting North South route from Carson City virtually to LA. I would like to take detours from the road to visit Kings Canyon, Sequoia and Death Valley National Parks. I know that 120 to Yosemite will be closed at that time of year.

My questions are is US 395 a reasonably scenic drive?

Are the roads into Sequoia and Kings Canyon likely to be open to a car without snow chains?

Any suggestions as to other places to stop off?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,984 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: highway 395

There is no road from 395 directly into Kings Canyon/Sequoia. You'd have to go over Tioga, drive down the west side of the Sierras to Fresno then back up to Sequoia. To get back on the 395 to see, for example, Lone Pine and Death Valley, you'd have to drive down the 99 (west side of the Sierras, not particularly scenic) through Bakersfield, and take either the 178 (scenic, fairly winding) or the 58 to the 14 to the 395 to go back north to see any of the section you missed south of Tioga/Lee Vining.

If your idea was to enter and exit Yosemite via Tioga, that could still be done, but then to see Sequoia you'd have to use one of the two southern crossovers mentioned above, which do not go directly into the SNP or KCNP from the 395.

Hope that helps.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,984 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: highway 395

Oh, just noticed your time of year, so no Tioga. Above two routes are the only way into SNP or KCNP. It's likely the main roads into the park will be plowed, but road between the two parks likely still closed and the road to Crescent Meadow likely still closed.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: highway 395

The previous posts are right on...although 395, Lone Pine, etc. are within 40km of Sequoia and Kings Canyon, there are 3km-4km high mountains between the two. So you have to do an "end run" far to the north or south, unless Tioga Pass is open (usually June-October...totally dependent on the snow conditions).

395 is very scenic and the area is a "hidden gem" in my opinion. Here's a good website www.395.com

4. Re: highway 395

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2011, 06:32
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...