We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving thru Sequoia and Yosemite in 3days?

twin cities
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Driving thru Sequoia and Yosemite in 3days?

We are going to be in San Diego April 9th and thought we should take some time to drive and see these two Nat'l Parks. We would have 3 full days and don't know where to start to explore. My husband can not hike, so we would just be driving thru the parks. Any suggestions would be helpful on what the must sees are and also a good town to stay in. We can either fly back from San Diego, LA or Santa Barbara, depending on how far we go into these parks.

Thanks for any and all help!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,993 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving thru Sequoia and Yosemite in 3days?

Sorry to be so late in answering, Maris, I wore out my laptop and had to wait for a new one!

April is a snowy month in the Sierras. The road in between Kings Canyon and Sequoia will not be open. So, you'd have to drive from SD to Sequoia (about 7 hours, I'd reckon) and stay the night, then over to Yosemite (allow another 6 hours) and stay two nights there. Since you wouldn't be hiking you could still enjoy the breathtaking winter scenery. You would need to carry chains, but you probably wouldn't have to use them (although no one can guarantee April weather, you would need to keep a close eye on the weather reports, using a good service like www.wunderground.com to be able to see storm warnings).

There is disabled visitor parking near the General Sherman Tree, otherwise you have to walk about a quarter mile downhill to see it (and then back up). It is a must see. The History Museum also has an excellent grove of trees right next to it. The rest of Sequoia will be pretty much inaccessible.

Yosemite, otoh, is at a lower elevation and has far more available sights to see in April, when the falls should be quite lively.

There's just one place to stay in Sequoia (Wuksachi, and a lovely place it is).

2. Re: Driving thru Sequoia and Yosemite in 3days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...