We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Sequoia

Denton
4 posts
Save Topic
Driving to Sequoia

My family will be driving from Visalia to Sequoia in June. We are from Texas and not accustomed to driving in the mountains. Just how difficult is this drive? Yes I would love to stop and take picks along the way, but I don't want to be a nervous wreck when we finally get to the park.

Thanks!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
370 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Sequoia

It doesn't have too many drop-offs, just a lot of curves. You don't go very fast, the main problem may be getting car sick. There is one VERY twisty stretch not long after you leave the town of Three Rivers. You will be driving through thick forest, so there's no sense of vertigo, if that's what is worrying you.

Los Angeles...
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Sequoia

The roads throughout the forest are in excellent shape and very easy to drive.

But, of course, when you're surrounded by so much beauty it's easy to become distracted. :)

And as you head in to the Sequoia Groves there are a great many places where you can pull over safely.

Even the 25 mile drive up to Mineral Springs, which is reported to be really hard driving, is a breeze...if you don't mind really windy roads.

Some quick mountain driving tips. NEVER cut a corner and keep an eye out for people that do. And if you are being pressed by someone behind you just flip on your turn signal, find a safe place to pull over and let them pass. No need for stress in the mountains and you don't want someone pushing you to go faster if you're not comfortable with it.

Enjoy. And if you're from Texas I can guarantee that Sequoia is going to blow your mind! It's extraordinarily beautiful.

Sequoia National...
Level Contributor
462 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Sequoia

The road in from the south does twist and turn quite a bit, but just take it easy and you will be fine. If you have anyone in your party that gets carsick though, some motion sickness medicine would be a good idea.

4. Re: Driving to Sequoia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2012, 05:17