We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving June 15

Blue Ridge...
Level Contributor
24 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving June 15

I have been doing a lot of reading on the Internet for the last few weeks. I have been looking forward to this trip for a year. And I really don't like snow! What do the conditions look like now? Has the snow melted from the trails? I am interested in the Mist falls and Eagle lake. From what I have read, Eagle lake will not be doable. Am I right? And what is the deal with requiring chains? We will be in the park until June 25th. Any thoughts?

Moro Rock
Geologic Formations, Hiking Trails
General Sherman Tree
Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Kings Canyon
Canyons, National Parks
Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving June 15

No problem in King's Canyon and the trail to Mist Falls.

You can go to flickr.com and type in sequoia and look at recent pics to get an idea of the snow or lack of in certain parts of the park.

Chains are "required" if there is a chance of snow at higher elevations but hopefully that won't be necessary from now till next fall.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving June 15

We are in the same boat. Heading out the 12th. I called and spoke to Ranger at Lodgepole. Only 70 of the sites are open. Snow on many of the trails. Guess they got more snow last night. Will have to just watch weather this week.

Blue Ridge...
Level Contributor
24 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving June 15

I have looked at the Mineral King webcams and in the last week a lot of that snow has melted, so I am hoping!

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving June 15

I'm going up to Wuchsachi on the 12th myself and will probably spend most of the time hiking in the Giant Forest meadow area since it's bear time.

Wear good boots for muddy trails.

5. Re: Arriving June 15

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 18:20