We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Van Buren
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay

are there hotels near the park? I know there are a couple of lodges in the park, but wonder where I could stay close if the lodges are filled? Also, what about food. Would you recommend a place to stay for 3 or 4 days where there is food accesible? We are not looking at a camping vacation, but would like to stay somewhere nice and have a couple of choices for places to eat. We could probably carry lunch w/ us, which brings me to another queestion. Is there a grocery place close? i appreciate any help ya'll can give. Thanks

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,590 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay

Although I certainly can't call myself an expert, we did have a recent visit to the park in July. Keep in mind that the roads inside are very winding, so they are driven slowly. Getting around takes time. This year, I believe there was road construction near the Three Rivers entrance. Three Rivers is a town that some choose to stay in, as it has more amenities. However, from what I have read, you have a somewhat challenging, time consuming drive from Three Rivers. Considering all these factors, we opted to stay inside the park.

Yes, it is pricey, but so worth it! We stayed at the Wuksachi Lodge and found the restaurant more than acceptable. Choices are not plentiful, and the Wuksachi dining room is the main ticket in town. THere's a small grocery store inside the park, which is expensive, so you'd be better off buying supplies in a larger town. Wuksachi rooms have a fridge and microwave. Its location is fantastic and allows you to get to places within Sequoia quickly. You will also reap the benefits of being able to get out there early and later in the evening when much of the crowds have dispersed. We found the park most crowded between 10 and 4, largely due to the drive times getting in and out of the park.

I've always been one to stay outside the parks as well, but for this one, it is particularly worth it to stay inside. I urge you to book far enough in advance to do this.

These parks are amazing. Have a wonderful trip.

Van Buren
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay

thanks for a great reply!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay

Wuksachi.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,466 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay

Wuksachi is the biggest, nicest and most expensive. Grant Grove has a selection of cabins (some very basic, some nicer) and the John Muir Lodge. Cedar Lodge is at the end of the road in Kings Canyon. Montecito Sequoia and Stoney Creek Lodge are in the national forest between the parks.

Your best bet is to start at the park website, www.nps.gov/seki. You'll find links to the official sites for inpark lodging - full descriptions, rates,etc. There's also a page linking to nearby lodging.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,466 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay

Sorry, too late to edit out the duplicate info.

Wuksachi and Grant Grove have restaurants; Lodgepole and Cedar Grove have lunch counters. Grant Grove also has a convenience store.

6. Re: Where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 04:17