We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pismo to Sequoia and King's Canyon

Which Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reigate, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Pismo to Sequoia and King's Canyon

Hello everyone.

My husband and I ( from uk) will be driving from Pismo beach to the Sequoia and King's Canyon area on May 10th this year.

We would appreciate some help!

We had planned to stay in Three Rivers for one night and then move on to Sequoia. This is a long drive from Pismo,so would we be better stopping one night en route ( and if so where)? We need somewhere safe with a restaurant nearby.

At that time of year when does it get dark and is the park accessible from Three Rivers in May? I understand roadworks may be going on and that drive is a challange! We have a rental car so no chains.

The more research I do the more confused I get!

We plan to spend 2 nights in Sequoia and 2 nights in King's.

Could someone tell me if the road to Cedar Grove will be open in May in KC?

We will then drive to Yosemite( but that's another forum I know)!

Thank you so much to anyone who is kind enough to reply!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,318 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pismo to Sequoia and King's Canyon

Cedar Grove road opens May 22.

nps.gov/seki/…road-conditions.htm

Pismo to 3 Rivers is just 3 hours. One more to the Giant Forest. So, I would drive all the way in if I were you unless you are leaving in mid-late afternoon from Pismo. Sunset will be around 8.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,474 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pismo to Sequoia and King's Canyon

If you're staying inside Kings Canyon NP at that time, you'd be at Grant Grove Village (up top, not down in the canyon). But you would need reservations, fast.

Reigate, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pismo to Sequoia and King's Canyon

Thanks Supercillious.

So helpful! May I just ask if 3 rivers to Giant forest is ever shut at that time of year, or is it just roadworks that need checking on? ( Thanks for the link).

Cheers!

Reigate, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pismo to Sequoia and King's Canyon

Thanks Jenazz.

If we have to book outside the park, where would you suggest and would we still need 2 days if the drive to Cedar Grove is out of bounds?

Thanks for your time.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,474 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pismo to Sequoia and King's Canyon

I'm afraid I've only stayed inside the parks. The park website www.nps.gov/seki has links to area motels, but I don't know how current they are. Or you could make it three nights in your first motel.

As for time - that depends on what you plan to do up there. You could subtract the night and day you were planning to devote to the canyon, or you might find there's another area with hikes or other activities that interest you.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,318 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pismo to Sequoia and King's Canyon

Storms can come in during early May but they are unusual and don't last long. With the Canyon not accessible and no cave tours in May, I would just plan for two nights if I was going.

It's impossible to know what trail conditions will be like this far in advance. A couple of years ago, some of the higher trails just off the Generals' Highway were closed until mid-June. The main groves should be OK but I think you are better off spending more time in Yosemite Valley which is lower in elevation.

Reigate, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pismo to Sequoia and King's Canyon

Many thanks to you both for taking time out to help us.

We really appreciate it.

Sequoia National...
Level Contributor
462 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pismo to Sequoia and King's Canyon

Just to add a couple of things, the road into Sequoia from Three Rivers on Highway 198 only rarely closes, and it takes something pretty extreme for that to happen so you shouldn't have any issues with road closures. I would still advise checking road/weather conditions before entering the park though to make sure the roads you intend to use are open (dial 559-565-3341).

I also agree with the suggestion to just make the drive from Pismo. It does take a few hours but it really isn't a terrible drive.

Reigate, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pismo to Sequoia and King's Canyon

Hello.

Many thanks for your input.

I have taken note of telephone no. We have booked into your lodge for the 11th and 12th May, so I really hope road stays open!

Look forward to seeing you all then.

Take care and thanks again.

10. Re: Pismo to Sequoia and King's Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2014, 07:15