We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sequoia NP x Kings Canyon - 1 or 2 days

Portola Valley...
1 post
Save Topic
Sequoia NP x Kings Canyon - 1 or 2 days

I´m just planning the end of road trip with my parents for the beginning of July. We´re going to travel from Grand Canyon in one day to Three Rivers I suppose. We can spent one or two days in Sequoia. I´d like to show them General Sherman of course but also other beautiful places for normal level hikers. We have a car and I´d like to know if it´s good idea to stay night somewhere in Three Rivers, explore Sequoia NP, stay there another night, go to Kings Canyon and back home to Bay area? Can anybody (the area experts the best) give me tips where to go.. ? if just drive, make few stops close to the top places.. Or can I drive the whole way from Hw 198 to Zumwalt Meadow and back out by Hw 180? I´m kind of confused, the are is so big and seems to be a lot of places to visit, but which ones really worth it and how long it takes?

Thank you very much in advance!

Hana

Moro Rock
Geologic Formations, Hiking Trails
General Sherman Tree
Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Kings Canyon
Canyons, National Parks
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sequoia NP x Kings Canyon - 1 or 2 days

I can't imagine staying in Three Rivers and having to drive into the park each day. If possible look for lodging in the park. IMO you will need 1 day for Sequoia and 1 day for Kings Canyon.

Sequoia: Head to the General Sherman Tree. Walk among the big trees and visit the Presidents and the Senate. See Cresent Meadow, Walk arounf the Big Trees Trail at Round Meadow, if you have the energy climb to the top of Moro Rock for wonderful views.

Kings Canyon: Stop at Grants Grove and walk the tree trail. Than head down into the Canyon, stop at the view spots. As you are in the Canyon, on your left is Grizzley Falls. We like to stop here for our picnic lunch. Visit Zumwalt Meadow and Roarinf River Falls.

There are 2 Caves, both great IMO. Crystal Cave is in Sequoia and Boyden Cave as you head down into Kings Canyon.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sequoia NP x Kings Canyon - 1 or 2 days

Good advice above. Be sure to follow the signs to Tharp's Log at Log/Crescent Meadow. Take a picnic. Lodgepole Creek area (and Visitor Center/Museum) is wonderful and just walking along the creek is fun. Try to stay at Wuksachi. Arriving Three Rivers from Las Vegas and waiting until the next morning to go up the mountain is a good idea - but stay at Wuksachi or the cabins in Kings Canyon. You don't have to see Kings Canyon too - you will have seen some amazing sights in Sequoia (there are more), but if you have the time to drive down to Road's End - it's a dead end, you drive back to the juncture with the 180 and head out.

Cairns
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sequoia NP x Kings Canyon - 1 or 2 days

i'm arriving in LA very early on 26th july, Planing to get the Amtrak train to Fresno and than Hopefully a local bus to Kings Canyon, Sequoia NP stay over night and then head up to Yosemite for 2 nites. where would the best base be for both national parks and any other advice for novice traveler with no transport. Was thinking Yosemite bug rustic mountain resort for accommadation, but not sure Sequoia

Edited: 01 June 2013, 11:20
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sequoia NP x Kings Canyon - 1 or 2 days

There's a shuttle that leaves from Visalia.

…visalia.ca.us/depts/transit/sequoia_shuttle/

It does not go to Kings Canyon. You could check on the Fresno forum. The only locale where you might stay that it does go to is Wuksachi Lodge.

Sequoia and Kings Canyon are two of our most isolated national parks, especially considering that they are in California and not that far from cities. There is, for example, no gas sold in the actual parks. There is a shuttle that goes around inside the park, so that you can see almost everything from Wuksachi (and the number of miles hiking to other trail heads from the shuttle route is small).

There's so much to see in Sequoia, though, and so many easy walks/hikes (and harder ones too) that you won't miss going to Kings Canyon. You just have to get yourself to Visalia. To do that, I think you use the KART system from Fresno.

http://www.mykartbus.com/

All of the places that the shuttle stops (whether you use the Visalia shuttle or the in-park shuttle) are worthy to visit and you will be amazed at the solitude, the trees, the meadows, the giant boulders - you can even climb a granite dome-like rock, Moro Rock - although it's more of a walk up stairs than a climb.

HTH. Maybe someone else will know more about KART system and how to get to Visalia.

5. Re: Sequoia NP x Kings Canyon - 1 or 2 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2014, 06:18