We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sequoia and Kings Canyon in January

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
171 posts
186 reviews
Save Topic
Sequoia and Kings Canyon in January

Hi all,

I am considering travelling to Sequoia and Kings Canyon in January and I have a number of concerns.

A. Which parts of the park will not be accessible then? Will I be able to see General Sherman tree and Grant tree?

B. Are the roads into the park very bad that time of year? Do I need tire chains with a 4WD car? Do rental companies prohibit driving in these areas even with 4WD?

C. Lastly, is it overall worth seeing in the winter or should I hold off for another time? I live in NY, and if the parks are not worth visiting in January, I'll hold off on California until a better season.

Thanks

Joshua Tree...
Level Contributor
900 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sequoia and Kings Canyon in January

My personal opinion - hold off. Not worth it. Check out the weather averages here:

www.sequoia.national-park.com/weather.htm

I went once that time of year and it was a mistake in my opinion. We could barely see anything or hike anywhere. A lot of the roads had 10 feet high snow on both sides of the highway so it felt like we were driving in a tunnel without a ceiling.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,984 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sequoia and Kings Canyon in January

General Sherman will be accessible, yes (unless some major storm occurs right as you're arriving). But the road between Sequoia and Grant Grove may well be closed (it's snowing up there tonight, I think - so...perhaps we will have a winter after all). The road to Moro Rock/Crescent Meadow will be closed.

It's spectacular in snow - but you've seen snow before and you'd enjoy it so much more in Springtime - when the ferns are green and the dogwoods are blooming and the whole Giant Forest is alive with beauty and spring vigor.

3. Re: Sequoia and Kings Canyon in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...