We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tire chains

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tire chains

Are you required to carry chains in Sequoia in the spring, regardless of the forecast?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tire chains

Regardless of the forecast? Let's see: Sunny with temps in the 80's. No, chains not required. I think there is more to this question, or another question. Please ask what you really need to know? Thanks. Chuck.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tire chains

www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/pvwinter.htm

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tire chains

I have been reading so much information, that I am nervous. We will have an Avis rental car so chains may not be permitted. Even if we just need to show we have them with us, renting them will be difficult because we are arriving at Sequoia from Three Rivers but are heading to Yosemite when we leave, so we'll be leaving the park from the other entrance. My worry is without enough notice of cancellation we'll lose our deposit for a 2 night stay in Wuksacchi. But, most of all , we will not be back in the area and will miss the park altogether. I hope Mother Nature will be kind..

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tire chains

The National Park Rangers are generally aggressive about asking if you have chains with you. This is a big issue for people with rental cars.

You almost never need chains. They are something of a tool of last resort. But that being said, I have been asked if I am carrying chains at the entrance station to Yosemite more than anywhere else in my travels (beyond a CHP officer at Red Box in the San Gabriel mountains 40 years ago... He would use it as an excuse to block access... ) Yosemite has some high elevation entrance roads dropping to the lower elevation valley floor... so sometimes you need them at Yosemite to get over a pass...

Odds are in Sequoia, you won't need chains... and you likely don't want to be there if you do... In Sequoia you are generally headed up hill... so if you need chains to get in you will need them the whole time...

Enjoy the trip... be concerned but don't get paranoid...

Randy

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tire chains

What Randy said! we have been to Seki and Yosemite in the month of april with shorts and short sleeves during the day.

6. Re: Tire chains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 February 2014, 01:35
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tire chains

Thanks everyone. I guess there is nothing we can do about the weather. I will relax and if we get there and need chains, then we'll buy them. I don't want to miss seeing the park.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tire chains

Once I arrived at the Grant Grove entrance and it had snowed the night before and they let me in since my tires were labeled M & S (mud and snow). No chains needed.

9. Re: Tire chains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2015, 06:18