We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skyland Lodge

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Skyland Lodge

Just got back from a few days at Shenandoah. We stayed at the Skyland Lodge. We had a problem with our room, and management transferred us to a suite, which was very nice.

Skyland is a complex of rooms and cabins, sort of spread out and away from the office. If you go, I would advise getting a telephone number in the office, so that you can at least call someone on your cell phone if you need something.

As for food, I do not recommend the dining room. We paid $15 for a turkey and dressing meal. The dressing and mashed potatoes tasted like they came from a box. The waitress admitted the "stock for the gravy" came from a can. I suspect the gravy was canned. For $15, it was mediocre at best. One person in our party got the corn-meal dusted catfish, and I think she "ate" it the rest of the evening. The problem is that, as best we can tell, it takes about an hour to go somewhere off the drive to get food, so if you're tired and want to stay on the lodge grounds, you're stuck with mediocre, high-priced food.

We got the best Chinese food I have ever tasted in Luray, at Brown's Chinese Restaurant--on Main St. It was not greasy; the food was fresh, and it wasn't overpriced. Dan's Steakhouse, about 14 miles out of Luray, was also excellent. It is casual dining, but the food was great.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skyland Lodge

Thank you for a wonderful report!

2. Re: Skyland Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 23:19
Get answers to your questions about Shenandoah National...