We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed: accommodation/transport etc

UK
8 posts
Save Topic
Advice needed: accommodation/transport etc

Hi,

My wife and myself (from the UK) would like to visit the park in April this year. First time visit to the USA and really could do with some help.

Flying from San Francisco to the Park: where would be the best place to fly to?

Hiring a car - best place to do this?

We intend staying 3 nights, 14/15/16 April - recommendations? Then on the Friday 17th April, drive to Newark and fly home.

Like to do a hike and ride - best location?

Apologies for so many questions - hope you understand.

Take care,

Greg

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed: accommodation/transport etc

Welcome to the forum Greg. I've been known to travel for a nice hike but you have me beat! The Shenandoah NP website, www.nps.gov/shen, contains detailed information about airports, directions, hikes etc, so check it out. You can consider several airports in the DC area; Reagan National (DCA), Dulles (IAD) and Baltimore-Washington (BWI), or Richmond Va (RIC), or Norfolk Va (ORF)...travel time to SNP is respectively from 1 1/2 hrs to 3 1/2 hrs. Best to rent a car at the airport. If hiking is your main interest, consider staying in the Park at Skyland or Big Meadows Lodge. I am not aware of any hike & ride services operating in SNP but you can check at the visitors center on arrival or call in advance. You may also want to consider flying to Newark rather than driving, probably less cost since rental car will be a one-way drop off. Search the forum for suggested hikes and post again with any additional questions.

Happy trails.

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
Norfolk
Norfolk
Virginia
Big Meadows Lodge
Big Meadows Lodge
1,169 Reviews
Shenandoah National Park, VA
Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed: accommodation/transport etc

If you want a direct flight from SF, then I recommend coming into to Dulles (IAD) and starting from the north end of the park and heading south. At the south end of the park, drive to Charlottesville and head back north from there. If you don't mind a connection, an even better idea in my mind is to fly into Charlottesville (CHO), and start from the south end and head north, coming out at the north entrance and in the direction you need to head toward Newark.

Check out this great guide to the park that includes many great hikes and other information:

http://ajheatwole.com/guide/

Mentioned in this post
UK
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed: accommodation/transport etc

Hi,

Many thanks indeed for all your help and information - very much appreciated!

It is a long way to go for a hike when you think about it... My normal climbing/hiking area is Scotland - I'm a qualified Mountain Leader.

We're heading for Newark and the SNP sounds a lovely place to spend a restful few days before flying home.

We will certainly look into all your suggestions and all being well, come up with a plan.

I like it when a plan comes together...

Three months to go and we're all excited.

Once again many thanks for all your help which is really appreciated.

Take care,

Greg

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
4. Re: Advice needed: accommodation/transport etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 07:22