We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

campground reservations mid-October

KMK83
Level Contributor
605 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
campground reservations mid-October

Hi, we are planning on camping at one of the campgrounds Oct 17-18. I notice that one of the campgrounds doesn't accept reservations and two others do, but also have first-come first-served.

anyone know how busy it will be? Do you think we'll have a problem if we show up in the afternoon without a reservation?

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
117 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: campground reservations mid-October

I'm wondering the same. I will be there the same weekend. I have no advice for you but just hate when no one responds to my posts!

KMK83
Level Contributor
605 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: campground reservations mid-October

lol, well thanks! maybe no one has any info...

i am thinking that it may be ok b/c one of the campgrounds doesnt take reservations and the others allocate some for nonreservations/first come first served...

i wasn't planning on getting there until late morning or early afternoon, and not sure if the campgrounds fill up by morning.

anyway, have fun!

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: campground reservations mid-October

I hike in SNP but don't use the campgrounds, so I can't answer your question from personal experience. The Park can get quite busy during the fall with people there to see the leaves turning beautiful colors. Consider calling campground reservations, 1-877-444-6777, they should be able to give you an idea about arriving without a reservation. Campground details are available at nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

Sorry can't be of more help.

Happy trails

KMK83
Level Contributor
605 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: campground reservations mid-October

thanks goneagain, calling the campgrounds is a good suggestion.

conn
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: campground reservations mid-October

Oct weekends can be busy I mostly make reservations now a days but never had a promblem getting a spot in the park in past years. Loft Mt's walk in tent sites are usually easy to get on a first come basis.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: campground reservations mid-October

I always found that a phone call to campgrounds will yield a fair idea of how busy the staff expects it to be.

We are thinking of coming to tour the first qweek in November - can anyone tell us what it will likely be like then - leaves down? cold?

Has anyone had experience with the local KOA's?

Thanks all!

7. Re: campground reservations mid-October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2010, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Shenandoah National...