We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend or weekdays for canoeing

Virgin Islands
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Topic
Weekend or weekdays for canoeing

Since, alas, there are no weeks without weekends and we are locked into a May 20, a Thursday, event in Maryland, should we canoe for two or three days at the start of our Virginia trip or drive and camp along Skyline Drive first. We don't like crowds and we don't like to make camping reservations.

We would arrive in Front Royal May 21, a Friday, and start canoeing the next day if this is the best option. If canoeing during the week is the best option, we'd probably start on May 25, a Tuesday.

We have to be back at Newark, N.J. Airport late in the day May 29, a Saturday, to fly home very early May 30, a Sunday.

For a variety of reasons, we have to do the Virginia part of our trip after the Maryland part.

And while I'm asking, how cold is it likely to get at night. I've got lots of warm stuff, but it's good to plan.

Thanks.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend or weekdays for canoeing

If it were me, I would camp during the week because you are more likely to get a campsite compared to a weekend. I haven't been canoeing there but would guess it doesn't make that much difference if you do it weekday vs. weekend. You might consider calling the campground you plan to use and asking your question, they may have useful advice. If you haven't picked where to camp yet, my friends really like Loft Mountain about milepost 80 in SNP.

Happy trails

Edited: 23 March 2010, 18:55
2. Re: Weekend or weekdays for canoeing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Shenandoah National...