We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving for Shenandoah tomorrow Last minute questions..

Which Shenandoah National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
204 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving for Shenandoah tomorrow Last minute questions..

Hello,

My family and I are leaving early tomorrow morning (Fri) for SNP, VA. We are leaving from Ohio and hope to camp at one of the Camp Grounds there. We were not able to get reservations but the park office said most of the time they do not book up until Fri afternoon or Sat for Matthews Arm. So we are hoping to get first come/first serve sites.

Questions..

1) Which campground should we try first ?

2) Which entrance should we take to the area? Waynesboro, Va or Front Royal? Trying to get good directions off Map Quest. (one route has us going I-77 to 64, The other is going thru Maryland 68 E, then 81S and 66 E)

I think I'm most interested in Big Meadows or Loft Mountain but I'm sure they fill fast.

Any advice or input would be great. Thanks so much !!

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving for Shenandoah tomorrow Last minute questions..

It may be difficult to get a campsite because this is prime time for fall foliage in SNP but good luck, just try to be prepared with other options. The best route depends on which campgrounds you want to try. If you take I77 to I64 and enter SNP at Waynesboro, you will reach Loft Mtn Campground (MP 79.5), then Lewis Mtn CG (MP 57.5) then Big Meadows (MP 51.2). If you take I70 or I68 to I81S and I66 to Front Royal, you will reach Matthews Arm (MP 22.1), then it's about 30 more miles to Big Meadows (a very popular spot and probably the most difficult to get a site), then farther to Lewis and Loft. Both routes are about the same travel time (starting at Powell OH). It sounds like you discussed your plans with the reservations center and if they suggested Matthews Arm as having the best opportunity for a site, they probably know best. Hope it works out for you, enjoy the Park.

Edited: 22 October 2010, 00:25
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving for Shenandoah tomorrow Last minute questions..

Tracy,

I live in Waynesboro/ Rockfish Gap and I'd be worried about getting a room much less camping. (Do not consider Inn at Afton). You could try Sherando Lake? Nice groomed sites and relatively close to Rockfish Gap.

And go Bucks!

Edited: 22 October 2010, 03:32
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
204 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving for Shenandoah tomorrow Last minute questions..

Thanks so much for all the info that really helps. If we can't find a place we will just stay for the day and drive to a hotel and head back home. Thanks for the other campground info we will check that out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we will be able to find something.

Thanks again !!

Stanley, Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving for Shenandoah tomorrow Last minute questions..

Sorry this is too late to help you. I thought we answered this question for you a while ago. I doubt you found anything in the park and it was crazy there this weekend. But maybe you lucked out. Let us know how the trip went and if you enjoyed your trip. I am formerly from Columbus :-)

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
204 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving for Shenandoah tomorrow Last minute questions..

Thanks so much for all the input. We were able to get a site at Loft Mountain Friday. Luckily they did not fill until Sat. We loved it. It was so nice. The leaves were at peak and we did some hiking and also visited Big Meadows. We loved the area and the views we look forward to coming back to the area.

Thanks again !!

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving for Shenandoah tomorrow Last minute questions..

Glad things worked out for you at Loft and that you enjoyed the beauty of Shenandoah.

Happy trails

Stanley, Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving for Shenandoah tomorrow Last minute questions..

Great! Glad everything worked out for you. It was a beautiful weekend in the Park. Even today after the rain...the trees are just glowing. BEAUTIFUL!!!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
204 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving for Shenandoah tomorrow Last minute questions..

Thanks,

It was the best trip we have been on in a while. We had really nice weather and met friendly people.

9. Re: Leaving for Shenandoah tomorrow Last minute questions..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2011, 06:54