We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with this trip

Greensburg, PA
Level Contributor
36 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Help with this trip

Heading to do the skyline, Charlottesville, then onto Williamsburg.

The plan is to visit the luray caverns and continue through the the skyline, stopping for a waterfall short hike and some outlooks.

We would finish in Charlottesville for the night.

Our drive time to luray is 3 hours, planning to arrive between 10-11 am. Is this first leg doable?

Day 2 we would tour Monticello in the am, then onto Lexington and the Natural Bridge.

Now, we can head to Roanoke, spend the night

OR

head to Lynchburg.

And should we spend the night in Lynchburg or try to drive through to Williamsburg? With a late arrival.

OR

What would you recommend in Roanoke.

Family of 5 mom dad; 2 boys-11 & 8; 1 girl age 3

Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with this trip

Seems action packed to me, especially for the kids. However I don't know yall and they may travel well.

The first day is doable especially if you're an active family. Your total drive time if you stay on the Drive will be about 5-6 hours. The hike and Luray Caverns will add a few more at least. Of course add in meals and then consider being up early for Monticello the next day.

Seems a lot to me but then I'm lazy!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with this trip

My thought is to rearrange your trip a little. Look at a map and see where Luray, Charottesville and Lexington are in relation to each other.

Monticello is 30 miles east of the southern end of Skyline drive, then to go from there to Natural Bridge is backtracking, unless you plan on driving a less direct, "scenic" route. You have a pretty significant range of mountains between you in the valley where interstate 81 runs, and on the other side where Charlottesville is.

I would do Luray and hop on Skyline Drive, then end up in Lexington that night.

Then do Natural Bridge, and head back north and make your way to Charlottesville. (Is there something specific you wanted to do/see in Roanoake or Lynchburg? It is also easy to get back to Charlottesville by heading north on 29 out of Lynchburg.)

From Charlottesville, you have an easy straight-shot to Williamsburg east on highway 64.

Greensburg, PA
Level Contributor
36 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with this trip

Thank you for the replies!

I may just do the route differently having it explained that way.

4. Re: Help with this trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2012, 05:50
Get answers to your questions about Shenandoah National...