We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

skyline drive weekend

pa
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
skyline drive weekend

DH & I have the opportunity to spend a few days traveling coming up in mid-October...so we're planning a trip to the skyline drive.

I know fall is a busy time and accomodations may be scarce by now.

Here's what we'd like your help with....

*accommodations either along the drive or in nearby towns

*best trails with waterfalls/areas of interest

*historical sites/gardens/other places of interest along the drive or in nearby areas?(we've been to Luray caverns and Shenandoah caverns and have seen the natural bridge.)

*places to take a short kayak trip in the area?

Anybody really ambitious enough to put together an itinerary or 2? That would be great!!!!

(we'll be traveling 2.5 days likely Sat-Mon before heading back home to southern PA)

Thanks for your help! :)

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,092 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: skyline drive weekend

1. If you can get accommodations in Shenandoah National Park (either Skyland Lodge or Big Meadow Lodge), that would be the most convenient place to base yourself.

2. The Shenandoah National Park website (www.nps.gov/shen) has a link called "Go For a Hike" which directs you to various hiking maps for the park. These maps give a short description of the hike so you can decide whether it fits your hiking style. Also, once you get to the park, the rangers can also make good suggestions of hiking trails for you.

The Big Meadow Roads and Trail Map shows several waterfall hikes that I have done. My favorite in that area, due to length, scenery and level of difficulty is the Rose River Falls/Rose River Fire Trail loop.

3. An interesting site within the park which combines history and hiking is the Rapidan Camp. (See the Rapidan Camp Trail Map). This was the summer White House for Herbert Hoover and several of the buildings are still standing. One, the Prime Minister's Cabin, has some historical displays and the Hoover cabin is open at some times for tours.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: skyline drive weekend

Rapidan is on my own list of "to dos" ! Make sure and click on the "escape keys" to get additional info in the article.

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/20…

Stanley, Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: skyline drive weekend

You are pushing it for fall reservations. Try right away, and you may luck out. Many of the nicest B & B's are already booked for Oct. Any of the hikes are great and Rapidan Camp is interesting as well. Friends really enjoy the Rose River Falls hike.

pa
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: skyline drive weekend

thank you for all this information! It is much appreciated!!

pa
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: skyline drive weekend

Fluffy-we don't enjoy B&Bs, just not our preference. We're looking for just your every day, nice chain hotel or a lodge type accomodation near the area. Thanks for your help.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: skyline drive weekend

One of the most popular hikes in SNP is Old Rag Mountain. It isn't accessed from the Skyline Drive, so you have to go out of the park and access the trailhead from the eastern side. This is an all-day hike, that is pretty intense, but incredibly fun because the top part of the mountain is all rock and has amazing views. Just search Old Rag, and you will find lots of information about it.

Don't know how far afield you want to go from SNP, but not too far away is Orange Virginia. There is a nice Holiday Inn Express there that I have stayed in many times and have always been happy there. The hotel is on a hill and has nice views of the Virginia countryside. Down the road from Orange is James Madison's Montpelier http://www.montpelier.org/visit/index.php

The house has been recently restored from what the DuPont family did to it (painted it pink!) and has nice gardens. There is also 200 acres of old-growth forest with hiking trails. It is very impressive.

pa
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: skyline drive weekend

jwhiteree-Thank you for your reply....I was just researching old rag last night...sounds amazing and we added it to our list of things we'd like to do. Orange virginia sounds nice as well and I'll be reviewing the link and info you provided! Thanks again:)

Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: skyline drive weekend

I recommend staying in Winchester area for Skyline Drive accommodations if you will be coming near Winchester/Front Royal area. Winchester has Museum of Shen. Valley and Historic Long Branch mansion and Museum of Shen Valley has the best gardens ever!! Also, few hotels to recommend are Comfort Inn, Wingate, Hampton Inn. These hotels have free breakfast and reasonably priced with good quality (service and rooms). I had some of my family and friends stayed at these hotels for the past 9 years I lived in Winchester and all were happy with their stays.

9. Re: skyline drive weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 03:17
Get answers to your questions about Shenandoah National...