We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ticks or Mosquitoes in Late-October?

Which Shenandoah National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
tarajane99
Level Contributor
146 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ticks or Mosquitoes in Late-October?

Hi,

My husband and I have a campsite reservation on October 22 at Big Meadows (walk to/tent only). Are the ticks and/or mosquitoes still active then?

Thanks!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ticks or Mosquitoes in Late-October?

Seems there's bugs almost all year of some kind with all this old growth nature and all.

Pay special attention if you are more delicious to bugs than your friends. I use no fragrance, no dryer sheets, no scented soaps or lotions or fabric softener or detergent or clothing from scented drawers. Spray clothing with something like Deepwoods Off. (But be very very cautious about these sprays if you have a breathing issue like asthma.)

I lightly spray my socks and footwear even before putting them on, same with a head scarf...and just let them sit a while so the Off sets in. And spray clothing at least lightly. I have sprayed inside as well as out.

High neck t shirt tucked in, long sleeved shirt tucked in, jeans tucked into socks. Head scarf, for me anyway.

Spritz of Off on a tissue and then around neck, ears, hairline..or in hair...arms.

And it would be nice to take a shower once a day, if only against the bugs. I like to use a deoderant shampoo as body wash. I find it works well against clingy chiggers.

Do a tick check on each other at least daily. Bring tweezers, a little peroxide.

Sounds like a lot and you can cut back depending on how little or how much bugs are attracted to you. But once you get it down I'm ready in a flash.

Again...watch spraying too much bug spray if you're around anyone with breathing issues.

Chicago
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ticks or Mosquitoes in Late-October?

Thanks for the great and informative reply! I can't use any insect-repellants :(. I was hoping that the bugs (especially, the ticks) would be gone by late-October. Oh well...

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ticks or Mosquitoes in Late-October?

If you're prone to attract bugs you seem to get them even when there are not that many. They just have a great time as part of life in woods and meadows. They will be less than in the summer. Research natural repellants...try health food stores. My nieces have found some ingredients that are naturally helpful. And stay away from any fragrance.

Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ticks or Mosquitoes in Late-October?

I camp every winter in or near the park and have yet to encounter mosquitoes but I've certainly pulled ticks from my dog and myself. Ticks thrive in warm, humid conditions but as long as its humid enough for them to molt and there are hosts available, they're active.

Of course an entomologist will now come along and say I'm wrong but I can only report what I've experienced.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ticks or Mosquitoes in Late-October?

And it seems any standing water attracts mosquitoes until it ices. My friends aren't bothered much by these critters. I just notice because they seem to favor me.

Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ticks or Mosquitoes in Late-October?

Very true explorer. Skeeters don't seem to like me very much. Ticks however seem to find me the taste of the town.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ticks or Mosquitoes in Late-October?

bacchuslimo, question. I can walk through a wooded area with a little grass and come out with ticks all over my feet in sandles, or socks. (and friends, nothing) I get them quickly and brush them off. Have you found that dark socks attract fewer ticks? Or are they attracted anyway and white socks are better because you can see the ticks better to get rid of them quickly?

Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ticks or Mosquitoes in Late-October?

Explorer I have no idea. I usually wear white or gray socks but I don't find them until they're crawling on my skin. I had one on my leg today just doing yard work. I was wearing sneaks, gray socks and shorts.

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ticks or Mosquitoes in Late-October?

Just a thought, the gnats are pretty bad in some places, and while they don't bite like mosquitoes they are not fun to inhale and can ruin the fun in the outdoors too- bring bug spray...

Luray, VA
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ticks or Mosquitoes in Late-October?

Yesterday, Oct 15, 2011, My family along with our two dogs were driving through the park to look at the fall colors, with just a few stops at the over looks, and at Big Meadows (for food) but the dogs were in the car with hubby.

About four hours later, at home, I noticed a few wood ticks on the dogs. They were very small compared to what I have seen before, so I thinking their were juvenille ticks. Hard to tell for sure, but looked like either a dog ticks or lone star ticks. Had some white on the back. Mind you we were basically just driving through the park.

I would definately use a bug spray and check yourself for ticks. They are out.

Hope you enjoy your visit when you arrive. The fall colors were pretty and the kids enjoyed seeing a number of Wooly Bear Caterpillars along the stone walls.