We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy hike for beginners

Which Shenandoah National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Easy hike for beginners

Never been hiking and since we will be visiting Shenandoah National park, wanted to know what would be the best beginner hike.

Also, any tips for first time hikers?

Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy hike for beginners

White Oak Canyon is a great hike to a beautiful waterfall. About 5 miles round trip.

http://www.hikingupward.com/SNP/WhiteOak/

The website I linked to is a great resource if you feel the hike I mentioned doesn't suit your needs.

As for hiking tips, just come prepared. It's just walking in the woods, but make sure you have plenty of water, sturdy shoes and enough time to enjoy the hike without being rushed.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,371 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy hike for beginners

And something like deep woods off. Camera and binoculars.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy hike for beginners

I posted some trail suggestions on the other thread but will add to take a trail map with you for the trail you will be hiking. They are available online and the Visitor Centers. When you leave you car at the trailhead, place a copy of the trail map or just a note with the name of the trail, date and time you started hiking in your car. The Rangers and staff in the Visitor Centers are great, seek their advice for trail suggestions and check weather before heading out.

Happy trails

NYC
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easy hike for beginners

got them. thank you so much for all the information! Like always I will post up details of my trip when I return!

5. Re: Easy hike for beginners

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 09:40
Get answers to your questions about Shenandoah National...