We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shenandoah NP in early August

Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Shenandoah NP in early August

This is the only travel window I have available. Worrying that will be too hot, mosquito high-season (as bad as Minnesota in July-Aug?). Can't control if crazy heat wave hits, but barring that...thoughts?

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shenandoah NP in early August

August is usually hot and buggy but not enough to ruin a trip to SNP. I normally use a non-deet repellent that works OK, friends use deet with good success. Lots of great trails and beautiful scenery, don't miss it. Post again if you are interested in hiking suggestions.

Happy trails

Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shenandoah NP in early August

Thanks. Am interested in trail advice. We like two-day one night back country. Have 13 & 15 yr olds.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shenandoah NP in early August

There are 100 miles of the AT in SNP which might give you some good options; very nice section around Big Meadows in the central part of the Park. I backpacked from milepost 6 on the Blue Ridge Parkway (just 6 miles south of Rockfish Gap entrance to SNP) to Dobie Mountain. It's a very nice hike, involves hiking AT about 4-5 miles to a stream and the Paul Wolfe AT shelter, see a small aircraft wreckage site, and the trailhead is shared by another great trail, Humpback Rocks. Here is more information........

www.hikingupward.com/GWNF/DobieMountain/

I always use this site as a resource when planning hikes/backpacking trips, this is the trail index which includes Dobie Mtn and Humpback under Blue Ridge, just scroll until you see SNP........

http://virginiatrailguide.com/trail-index/

A friend backpacked Brown Mountain in the southern section of SNP and enjoyed the solitude. I will be backpacking Trayfoot Mountain in SNP soon, if you are interested I will give you the details when I return.

Hope this helps.

4. Re: Shenandoah NP in early August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Shenandoah National...