We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stargazing

NY, NY
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Stargazing

Hello!

Are there any particularly good areas we can drive to at night in the park to do some star gazing? I understand that there may be a free program in the Big Meadows area and that there is a number to call to check on that. Is there anything else, or any other spots we should visit where we can sit and look up at the dark sky?

Thanks!

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stargazing

Here is some information from the SNP website regarding stargazing including a list of astronomy groups that might be interesting to contact to see if they plan activities during your visit; also check for ranger programs that may interest you..........

www.nps.gov/shen/naturescience/nightsky.htm

nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/rangerprograms.htm

Based on my experience in SNP, as long as the weather is mostly clear, you will have good views of the sky from almost any overlook or somewhat open area. I never tire of looking at what seems like millions of stars......very different view than in the city.

Hope you get to stargaze.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stargazing

Thanks, me too! :-)

baltimore
Level Contributor
275 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stargazing

you can also try some of the biger overlooks, you may have limited views in some directions but the unobstructed views should be very nice.

4. Re: Stargazing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 05:15