We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April Visit

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
April Visit

I plan to visit Shenandoah National Park between April 1 and April 6 next year. What kind of weather can I expect. Is it likely to snow? Also any advice on where to stay. I will be flying into Dulles airport and from there to Front Royal.

Pittsburgh, PA...
Level Contributor
262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April Visit

To determine the type of weather to expect, follow this link to Weather Underground's trip planner -

weatherunderground.com/tripplanner/index.asp

Enter some of the towns near Shenandoah National Park, along with the dates you expect to be there. It will give you the historical weather data for that location on those dates for the past several years. That will give you a good idea of what to expect. I would check Winchester, VA and Staunton, VA, which are the nearest weather stations to the north and south ends of the park respectively, and Culpeper, VA, which is just east of the center part of the park. Expect the top of the mountain ridge to have temperatures about five to ten degrees cooler (F not C, since I see you are from Scotland) than the Shenandoah Valley to the west or the piedmont to the east. So if the weather in Winchester is mid to upper 30s with rain, there is a decent chance you'll see snow/sleet/freezing rain on Skyline Drive in the park. All that being said, your chances of snow in early April are pretty low, but I wouldn't say it is out of the realm of possibility.

Regarding places to stay, it depends on what you are interested in. For a rustic (no cable tv or phones), but comfortable location inside the park, Skyland is nice. I recommend a room with a balcony view of the Shenandoah Valley. My wife and I have stayed there twice and it was nice, although our luck was poor, and we had foggy/rainy weather that obscured the valley view for most of our visit both times. If you want to stay in Front Royal, where you'll have more restaurant options than in the park, there are plenty of hotel/motel options. Let me know what type of accomodations you are interested in and I'll see if I can give you more detailed suggestions.

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April Visit

Rent a cabin!! The one we stayed in was in Luray if you want to go that far to stay. The cabin we stayed at was called Burner's Mountain Lodge and it was wonderful, check it out at www. burnermountain.8m.com. It is a very private location with a great view.

There is Easy access to the park from Luray which is about in the middle area of the park and Luray is a great town. The prices for a cabin for that time of year should be pretty low. You can also check out www.luraypage.com there will be links to lodging and other things of interest in the area.

One more website www.mountain-lodging.com list cabins for rent by state. There are many in the area including some in Front Royal. Make sure to check out the underground caverns, Skyline Caverns in Front Royal and Luray Caverns in Luray. We have vactioned in that area twice now and cant wait to go back. There may not be a whole lot of greenery yet at the beginning of April as it can still get quite cold.

Pittsburgh, PA...
Level Contributor
262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April Visit

One more comment on the weather. At that time of year, it is very variable. You could have a snow storm, or you could have weather like it is early summer - you won't know until you get there. So prepare for just about anything.

4. Re: April Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 01:19
Get answers to your questions about Shenandoah National...