We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A quick one day trip report with pics

Which Shenandoah National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,398 posts
371 reviews
Save Topic
A quick one day trip report with pics

We spent last Friday driving the length of Skyline Drive. We spent Thursday night in Winchester at the George Washington Hotel and Friday in Staunton at the Stonewall Jackson Hotel. Get these places on Priceline, both were great stays. I have been to the park a couple times, but not my wife.

We did 3 short hikes, with two of them climbing the 2 highest peaks in the park, Hawksbill Mt and Stony Man Mt. Terrific views from the top. Stony Man was the easier climb. Our third hike was Bearfence Mt. Lots of fun going over the rock scramble with more excellent views from the top.

We were fortunate to see 2 bears, both were crossing the street. I was slow with the camera but did get some pics of bear #2.

If one is pressed for time I like the two northern sections of Skyline Drive. More specifically, the middle section is by far the best from Thornton Gap to Swift Run Gap.

These pics are of Old town Winchester, the 3 hikes I mentioned, plus our time spent in West Virginia. The Virginia pics are #1 through 63.

https:/…

Edited: 01 July 2014, 04:34
Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A quick one day trip report with pics

I enjoyed looking at the pictures. Thanks for posting.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A quick one day trip report with pics

Thanks for the trip report and great photos.

Derry
Destination Expert
for Derry
Level Contributor
739 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A quick one day trip report with pics

Thank you for that.

We will visit the area soon and your pics have whetted my appetite!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
775 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A quick one day trip report with pics

looks good!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
14,065 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A quick one day trip report with pics

Greetings relayer,

Thank you for the report & the photos. I don't think I would of hung around to get the bear photo!

:o)

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,398 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A quick one day trip report with pics

Thanks everyone. I can't believe it's already been two months since we were there. We have ran into plenty of bears over the years, mostly out west.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
33 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A quick one day trip report with pics

Nice pictures. Thanks for the reports.

Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A quick one day trip report with pics

We are planning for a trip this oct 19th wknd for the especialluy for the fall colors and skyline drive...but not quite sure if there are any rooms avaiable inside the park..Can anyone suggest any hotels outside the park??.. we are travelling from newark.

Thanks!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
14,065 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A quick one day trip report with pics

@ avanthi K,

The Drive is 105 miles in length, is there a specific area you are interested in? Please let us know, so we may make suggestions.

>>We are planning for a trip this oct 19th wknd for the especialluy for the fall colors and skyline drive...but not quite sure if there are any rooms avaiable inside the park..Can anyone suggest any hotels outside the park??.. we are travelling from newark.

Thanks!<<

Kind Regards,

Kesh grammy

10. Re: A quick one day trip report with pics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2015, 05:16