We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Baltimore to Orlando via skyline drive

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Baltimore to Orlando via skyline drive

Looking to do this late august with my wife, if anybody could recommend a route and a nice town to stay overnight, we are looking at doing this in two days, we was thinking of picking up skyline drive in fort royal and then take in a stretch of blue ridge pass then dropping down onto the freeway and pushing onto Orlando, is this Feasible and where would you recommend overnight, many thanks!!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
15,684 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Baltimore to Orlando via skyline drive

Greetings! I recommend Peaks of Otter. I have posted these websites for you.

www.blueridgeparkway.org

www.virtualblueridge.com/places-to-stay/

Hope this helps

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Baltimore to Orlando via skyline drive

Many thanks, that's very helpful.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Baltimore to Orlando via skyline drive

After looking at the websites above we really like the look of little Switzerland but does anyone think it's reachable in one day using skyline and blue ridge all the way,

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,684 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Baltimore to Orlando via skyline drive

Googling distances from Front Royal, VA. to Little Switzerland, N.C. shows 6+ hours.

Hope this helps

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Baltimore to Orlando via skyline drive

Hi, I would imagine that driving time could be doubled by taking skyline and blue ridge pathway route which is what we would like to do, problem we have is we are looking for a single Saturday night stay, all the nice places on blue ridge are minimum 2 night stay, so I think our plan b would be to do skyline and part of brp (approx3 hours) then look to head to a decent size town and stay the night in a chain hotel,

was thinking maybe charlotte or even pushing on to charleston, any recommendation would be appreciated,

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,684 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Baltimore to Orlando via skyline drive

Charlotte. NC. is in the S.W. part of the state, near the S.C. border. Charleston, S.C. is on the coast. I suggest you look at a map of the Mid-Atlantic States. Please get back to TA, if you need more assistance.

Hope this helps

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Baltimore to Orlando via skyline drive

I think charlestone was a bit over optimistic, I think I will look for somewhere in Charlotte and then head on down to Florida the next day, thanks for your help mate!!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,684 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Baltimore to Orlando via skyline drive

Greetings! IMHO, I suggest you take 70 West> to Haggerstown, MD, P/U 81 South>77 Charlotte, N.C., a very nice drive. Haggerstown to Charlotte about 6+ hours. The best time of year to drive the Blue Ridge, is leaf peaking, fall colors.

Hope this helps

baltimore
Level Contributor
275 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Baltimore to Orlando via skyline drive

Hi - i live in the Baltimore area and go the SNP a couple times a year. I would suggest you head west on 70 and then around Frederick, head south past Harpers Ferry, and follow to Front Royal. I would start early during the day and spend most of the day taking a leisurely drive up on the parkway - the speed limit is 30 and they do have rangers checking periodically. Pack a lunch, drinks and snacks - there are lots of overlooks to have a picnic. (you may want to bring some bug spray just in case). There are also a few short hikes (1-2 miles) if you want to get out and stretch your legs. It is very peaceful - look out for wildlife - deer, bears, wild turkeys, etc.

From the Whitemarsh area i can get to Harpers Ferry in approx 90 minutes and another hour or so to Front Royal. Not sure how many hours you want to put in on day 1 and how much you want to leave for day 2. The parkway is windy while 95 is a straight shot.

have fun, feel free to ask any questions.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Baltimore to Orlando via skyline drive

I'm thinking the same route from Baltimore to Front Royal as rumcreme. i70 to US 340 and take that to Front Ryal where you will pick up Skyline Drive. But as mentioned the speed limit on Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway is 30 MPH. Going a long way on those makes making Orlando in 2 days a bit ambitous. To give you an idea of the time difference -

Baltimore to Orlando via highway: 15.5 hours drive time

taking SLD & BRP: 18.5 hours drive time (and maybe more)

To get to Roanoke, VA via the scenic drives is about 8 hours.

Roanoke to Charlotte is about another 3 hours.

Charlotte to Orlando avout 7.5 hours.

THese are drive times not including stops.

Of course, there are numerous places where you could get off and head to i81 once you've had enough.

Edited: 14 July 2014, 20:43