We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black flies and June trip

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Black flies and June trip

I have been planning a trip to Voyageurs and renting a houseboat in mid June (Crane Lake). I have recently become aware that this may be a bad time for the black flies. I need to make a decision to scrap this plan and move on to another. Can any one tell me if the bugs are so bad that you are unable to enjoy fishing and hiking? I also was contemplating bringing our dog. Will the flies be so much of a problem that it would be harmful to her? I really want to enjoy this trip and if it is better to go another time please be honest. I certainly don't want to be stuck inside the houseboat looking out at the water and unable to enjoy.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
883 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black flies and June trip

The first hatch of black flies (and mosquitos) usually happens around Memorial Day weekend. this is all dependent on the weather, if it is cold and the lakes don't open til late, it would push the hatch later. Lately the hatch has not been bad, it has been dry, which affects the bugs.

Black flies are tiny, and will "attack" your dog, mine get bit up on the belly, and show red marks where bit. Is it harmful? no, uncomfortable, yes.

Being on the water you will see less bugs then when at shore, you will see an increase around moving water,(IE rapids) as that is where they are hatched from.

If you are coming to fish, this is the best time to do that, if your priorities are for sightseeing, swimming or just relaxing, then by all means, go later when the bugs drop off, and the water warms up.

Voyagers is beautiful, even with some bugs you will enjoy it, esp. if the fish are biting.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
359 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black flies and June trip

it really depends upon the year. I bought a bug suit for about $40.00 from Cabellas and have not had to unpack it yet.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
445 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Black flies and June trip

I've lived in Minnesota my whole life and have never had a serious problem with black flies. We travel all over the state all summer. Bring some bug repellent, but you really shouldn't have a problem. I certainly wouldn't scrap the trip.

Saint Louis...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Black flies and June trip

What is the best repellent for black flies?

Madison WI
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Black flies and June trip

Haven't actually used this, but saw it recommended on two other sites, since we are also headed up to the Superior northshore in Mid July: http://www.buggspray.com/fly-repellent.html

6. Re: Black flies and June trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Voyageurs National Park