We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Voyageurs mid- to late July

Lee's Summit...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Voyageurs mid- to late July

Thinking of going mid- to late July to Voyageurs. The main focus of this vacation would be fishing and wwe will be bringing a small fishing boat with us. We plan on camping, but would also like to stay in a cabin or rustic lodge for a few nights.

This is the only time of the year that my family's various schedules will work. How is the fishing this time of year? Bugs? Where would be the best place to go to avoid larger motor boats? Best cabin/lodge? It's our first time to this area. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Voyageurs mid- to late July

What type of fishing are you looking to do? Walleyes I would guess. If so I would point you to Lake Kabetogama. Gorgeous glacier lake with stunning scenery -- stark white rock islands, white pine forest surrounding, beautiful bays etc. That time of year fishing is not at its best but if you are seasoned enough you can go deep and find fish. Of course the cloudier and windier the better! Trophy pike are present in that lake but muskies are not. You'd have to head farther up to Rainy to fish for muskies.

I always stay at Park Point resort, though I haven't been up there for almost 5 years now. But there are dozens of places ranging from small fishing cabins (very basic, not a lot to do other than grill on the deck, sleep and fish) that offer dock spots and boat rental, basic supplies and fuel (though you'll do best to bring your own in pricewise). And some larger more luxurious places, though nothing 4-star.

Park Point is definitely on the simplified side, which is what I want. Look at Sandy Point Lodge for something a little more inclusive (dining area, I think a bar too). I have not stayed there but I have heard a couple good reviews.

Nearby is Chief Woodenfrog Campground. It is very basic, so no showers or anything. But they have fire ring, picnic table, and a cleared area for the tents. First come first serve on spots so you are not guaranteed a spot on the lake but you could luck into one.

Beautiful area up there. Bring your bug repellent. But that's most times of year up there.

If you're looking for a traditional rustic lodge setting, I am not the guy to talk to. I am someone who values a little less expensive, simplified stay in a small fishing cabin with stove, fridge, beds, deck with grill, sink, bathroom. And a place to put in the boat!

Grand Marais...
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Voyageurs mid- to late July

10 years ago, I spent three years working on Crane Lake-East side of Voyageurs NP. I loved the smallmouth fishing of Crane, Sand Point, and Namakan that could be accessed from there. The bugs could get bad in June, but since I am an avid top water fisherman, that usually meant that was when I was out fishing the most. The place I worked is Pine Point Lodge. Very nice place, and has great access to the park. I'd recommend it. The best feature is it is a boat in only resort so you don't have any traffic or noises from bars or anything. Not the cheapest option, but worth it in my opinion.

Orr, Minnesota
Level Contributor
38 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Voyageurs mid- to late July

If you haven't selected your vacation location yet, you might consider the Ash River area which is central gateway to the National Park. There are several resorts and three of them have small bars and restaurants that could offer some food packages and some variety for your trip. We are close to many camp sites as well. Check out ashriver.com

4. Re: Voyageurs mid- to late July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2015, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Voyageurs National Park