We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zion Canyon Theatre (IMAX et al) closing

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Supai
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Zion Canyon Theatre (IMAX et al) closing

Did I miss mention of this on tripadvisor? Their web site says "It is with the saddest of hearts that we announce the closing of the Zion Canyon Theatre as of January 13, 2017." On Facebook, they note "The building is being renovated. It will have hotel suites, spa and 2 big conference rooms."

I wonder what hotel.

Mentioned in this post
6 replies to this topic
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zion Canyon Theatre (IMAX et al) closing

No, hasn't been mentioned.

Some people have wanted to know what they could do around Springdale with kids in particular. I mentioned the Imax in the past. But when you look at what is playing and all that is on the list is the Zion history promo film Treasure of the Gods, then you quit making the rec.

The building is housing an art gallery and a trinket shop or two right now.

The Hotel would be Cable Mountain.

The area used to be known as Cable Mountain Courtyard, which included the shuttle stop. I do not know for certain, but I think the property that Cable Mountain sits on, has the same property owners as the Theatre, Happy Camper Market, and Zion Canyon Brew Pub.

I think the Zion Outfitter building is on its own property.

Just speculation.

Mentioned in this post
Cable Mountain Lodge
Cable Mountain Lodge
1,258 Reviews
Springdale, UT
Zion Canyon Brew Pub
Zion Canyon Brew Pub
1,319 Reviews
Springdale, UT
Zion Outfitter
Zion Outfitter
169 Reviews
Springdale, UT
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zion Canyon Theatre (IMAX et al) closing

What else is new in Springdale then?

Kings Landing Bistro and 9 East are the new high end restaurants in town.

Springhill Suites is now open.

Springdale has a new adventure outfitter/guide building called the 'Visitor Center' Pretty good marketing name. Many people will walk in the doors thinking it is an actual official visitor center. Then they will be met with trinkets and souvenir shirts. But anyways, they offer guide services, maybe a jeep tour. Looks like they will have some type of cafe opening soon in the same building. Then there is two small 'condo' like buildings out back.

Zion Guru is supposed to be the 'spiritual' guide company in town.

Canyon Ranch motel is gone, or at least all the cabins are gone. Not sure if they are going to rebuild and reopen.

Everything else seems to be the same.

Mentioned in this post
Kings Landing Bistro
Kings Landing Bistro
432 Reviews
Springdale, UT
Zion Guru
Zion Guru
127 Reviews
Springdale, UT
Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Supai
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zion Canyon Theatre (IMAX et al) closing

Widmarsh, thanks for the info about the theatre's land. As to the "Visitor Center", I've seen it and ignored it, but didn't realize it was a cleverly (?) named business.

I had taken a look at the new Springhill Suites web site. My initial impression was that its prices were a bit high. For the dates I checked, Desert Pearl and Cable Mountain Lodge offered similar prices for what looks like better quality. However, given how crowded Springdale has become, Marriott will probably have no trouble selling out.

Mentioned in this post
Desert Pearl Inn
Desert Pearl Inn
2,797 Reviews
Springdale, UT
Cable Mountain Lodge
Cable Mountain Lodge
1,258 Reviews
Springdale, UT
Yucca, Arizona
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zion Canyon Theatre (IMAX et al) closing

Alas, another major attraction shut down that I used to frequent when living in the area! Quite a blow to see some of the best places ever falling by the wayside, including Pah Tempe hot springs! What next? I moved up north in the late 90's, and am finally planning a move back. I was excited over the prospect of seeking out some of my favorite places, only to find out they are no longer up and running. What a huge disappointment! Here I was trying to call and inquire about whether or not the theatre offered an annual pass like the I -Max in Salt lake Planetarium. So, is this lovely theatre just sitting and going to waste?? How I hope someone will come along and do something really special with it. I loved Treasure of the Gods. Was the best one they had! Christine Hughes

Mentioned in this post
Tempe
Tempe
Central Arizona, AZ
TN
Level Contributor
529 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zion Canyon Theatre (IMAX et al) closing

Just returned from Zion and there is active construction at the former IMAX site.

Mentioned in this post
Moreno Valley...
Level Contributor
47 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zion Canyon Theatre (IMAX et al) closing

This is sad. I guess they need more rooms. I also enjoyed going there from time to time.

Reply to: Zion Canyon Theatre (IMAX et al) closing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted