We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights or 3 nights in zion vs. bryce

los angeles
4 posts
Save Topic
2 nights or 3 nights in zion vs. bryce

This is my tenative itinerary for July and I am trying to figure out if I should do 3 nights in Zion at the Desert Pearl (already booked) and do bryce from there or do 2 nights in zion and than a night in bryce.

We have 3 kids (ages 9,8 & 5) so any suggestions for kids would be great. They are good travelers and hikers - they love the outdoors.

Arriving Phoenix 7/24 in the morning and driving straight to Sedona

2 nights in Sedona at the Hilton (7/24 & 7/25)

2 nights in GC at the Maswik (7/26 & 7/27)

1 night in Page (7/28)

3 nights in Zion at the Desert Pearl

Fly out of Vegas on (8/1 in the afternoon)

Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
837 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights or 3 nights in zion vs. bryce

Hi momofn and welcome to the forum,

What will you be doing in Page? If you are just stoping for the night, I would recomend leaving early that morning and driving to Bryce. You will go thru a time zone when you go into Utah you will loose a hour. It is about a 3 hour drive on 2 lane. You can spend most of your day at Bryce and drive on to the Desert Pearl. That about 2 hours or so drive.

There is a mule ride at Bryce and Zion done by the same company. Their web site is http://www.canyonrides.com/.

GC, Bryce and Zion all have junior ranger programs.

GC site is www.nps.gov/grca/forkids/beajuniorranger.htm

Bryce site is

www.nps.gov/brca/forkids/beajuniorranger.htm

and Zion's site is www.nps.gov/brca/forkids/beajuniorranger.htm

While you are in Sedona I would recomend a jeep tour. Pink Jeep is the best. The front desk should be able to set it up for you.

Enjoy your trip!

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights or 3 nights in zion vs. bryce

On the other hand...it will be really really hot in July in Zion and a little cooler in Bryce. If you take the driving advice from the previous poster, I think it might be a good idea to spend one night in Bryce before going on to the Desert Pearl. Too much backtracking to go from Zion to Bryce and back and too much time in a car.

At Bryce you're only real lodging choice is Ruby's Inn. If your kids like to swim, they have a pretty big inside pool at Ruby's. The hotel isn't much to talk about but it does mean that you don't have to rush through Bryce to get to Zion.

los angeles
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights or 3 nights in zion vs. bryce

I like the idea of doing Bryce first and than onto Zion.

would you all recommend staying in Bryce or stick with Ruby's Inn?

Also, I wanted to do the float trip in Page - I was looking at the afternoon trip on the day we arrive. I figured we would leave GC early in the morning on 7/28 so get to Page by 11 - isn't it about 2 1/2 hr. drive?

I had no idea how much there is to see and do in this part of the country!! I wanted to do Arches but I don't think there is going to be enough time.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,827 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights or 3 nights in zion vs. bryce

Yes, stay one night in Bryce.

5. Re: 2 nights or 3 nights in zion vs. bryce

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 12:28