We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about National Park Pass and others

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Question about National Park Pass and others

Hello all,

First off, my Senior National Park pass will not arrive in time so my questions are:

Would I be able to purchase the lifetime pass when I arrive at Zion National Park?

I believe it is $80 lifetime for seniors.

Secondly, I believe I can then use this pass at other NPs like Bryce Canyon and Grand Canyon South Rim, so does the pass cover parking expenses as well or would I be charged each time I use the parking lot since I intend to enter each twice. Would that mean, six payments for parking?

I would like to also ask, which parking lot would be suggested if I am to do the Observatory point in the morning.

Thank you in advance.

7 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,063 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about National Park Pass and others

Buy the pass at the first National Park or National Monument you get to. There are no parking fees inside the parks.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,493 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about National Park Pass and others

There is one park I know about that charges a fee for parking that is not covered by the pass. It is not in Utah.

It is very easy to buy the pass at the first entrance station. And yes, it is now $80 for seniors, but it is lifelong and you'll never need to pay again. Do be aware that it will not get you into tribal parks (Antelope canyon in Page or Monument Valley), nor will it get you into State Parks(Dead Horse Point)

The obligatory shuttle will be running everyday in Zion's main canyon through October. Get off at the Weeping Rock stop for Observation Trail.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about National Park Pass and others

Thank you both for your response.

So with the Senior Lifetime pass, I can just use that to drive in Zion, Bryce, and Grand Canyon and park wherever to start my trip without paying anymore? Great!

I will be living in Springdale. Which is suggested; the Zion Shuttle to Visitors Center and take the Zion Canyon shuttle to Weeping Rock or should I just drive straight to the park and take the Zion Canyon shuttle?

Thanks again!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about National Park Pass and others

If you have a hotel in Springdale, you have a couple of options. One is to leave your car at your hotel and use the free Springdale Town shuttle that connects with the Zion shuttle at the visitor center. The second is to drive your car to the visitor center, park there and then get on the Zion shuttle. The logical thing to do would be to use the Springdale shuttle to the visitor center. That's it's purpose - to transport folk staying in Springdale to the visitor center, thus freeing up parking places in the parking lot. If there isn't a shuttle stop right in front of your hotel, there will be one within a short walking distance.

The Zion shuttle will take you to all the trail heads and viewpoints inside the main Zion canyon.

When you enter the national parks using your Senior Pass, you will also need to show ID with it. Have them ready BEFORE you pull up to the gate to expedite your entry. Basically, all you'll need to do is have both in your hand, show it to the ranger and you're on your way. Also, occasionally when there's a long line at entry gates, a line is opened up just for passholders.

Edited: 19 September 2017, 21:53
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about National Park Pass and others

My apologies. I am actually staying in Hurricane, UT.

I would like to confirm, for the shuttle to enter Zion National park, I just arrive at Springdale Visitor Center to utilize the bus service? Also, would I be able to purchase the Senior Pass there or must I wait?

Thank you!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about National Park Pass and others

Staying in Hurricane, you have a couple of options.

1. Drive to Springdale and park in one of the designated parking lots in town. Take the Springdale shuttle to the Zion NP visitor center (not Springdale) where you can get the Zion shuttle.

2. Drive directly to the visitor center and park there. You should probably aim to be at the visitor center lot no later than 8:30 to get a spot. Hurricane is about a 30 minute drive or so from Springdale.

I can't remember if you go through a ranger station gate before you get to the visitor center. If you do, then you can purchase your Senior Pass there. Otherwise, it can be purchased at the Zion NP Visitor Center

Edited: 20 September 2017, 16:09
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,493 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about National Park Pass and others

If driving there is an entrance gate where you can buy the pass before arriving at the visitors center. They are (or were) doing some remodeling of that entrance so not sure what the configuration is at the moment but it is the same. The parking lot at the visitors center does tend to fill up, but this time of year there should still be some parking if you arrive in the morning.

Reply to: Question about National Park Pass and others
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zion National Park