We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall 2007 - Zion/Bryce NPs Trip Report

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
210 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Fall 2007 - Zion/Bryce NPs Trip Report

Thanks for your assistance w/planning our trip. The TA archives were invaluable.

My husband, daughter and I visited Zion & Bryce NPs for a week late in October. We flew into Vegas and as we drove toward Zion, I was at first disappointed with the scenery. However, by the time we reached Zion, the beauty had awed me.

Zion was stunning with its mix of red, orange, pink and white mountains of rock and sandstone. I believe we hit the height of the fall foliage with the trees bearing beautiful red and yellow leaves. The town of Springdale is charming with lovely little inns, shops and restaurants. We are light hikers so we did the easy hikes. We also toured around in our car. Our favorite hike was The Narrows. We rented the dry-pant/footwear apparel, and hiking sticks. We started out slowly, but with the encouragement of dd, a natural, we got very quick at moving along. The water did reach dd’s and my waist occasionally (both 5’4”). It was an amazing experience and provided a unique perspective. We saw some wildlife in Zion, such as big horned sheep, wild turkeys and mule deer.

We drove to Bryce NP one day and found it striking in its beauty. We spent the day looking at the hoodoos from near and far. There were many amazing panoramic views of the entire area.

We also took short trips, one to the Kolob Canyon area in the northwest corner of Zion about one hour from Springdale. These are quite beautiful, but not really different from other areas of the park. The drive up through the tunnel on the eastbound road out of Zion is spectacular and unique, and passes by checkerboard mesa at the exit from the NP.

We ate at the Bit & Spur, the Spotted Dog, and Pizza Noodle, which were all wonderful restaurants. If you are able to plan, make reservations for the Bit & Spur and Spotted Dog to avoid a wait. We also had a light dinner at The Pioneer Restaurant but wouldn’t recommend it. We had burgers and fries at the park lodge that were fine. We had smoothies twice at the Springdale Market Fruit Company, and they were very good. We had a kitchen in our room so we were able to have sodas and snacks and we mostly had cereal for breakfast.

We stayed at the Desert Pearl Inn. I highly recommend it, as so many have before me. We stayed in one of the new one-bedroom suites w/two bathrooms, full kitchen, and balcony. The décor was lovely, especially the trestle wood detailing. There was a foldout couch (comfortable according to dd) in the sitting room. Zion seemed an unlikely place to find the most luxurious bathroom I’ve ever seen or experienced, but there it was. I loved DPI.

We had an incredible trip!

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall 2007 - Zion/Bryce NPs Trip Report

Thanks for sharing - I have made note of the places you ate and liked.

Are they all in Springdale?

I am planning our trip for Aug 2008

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
210 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall 2007 - Zion/Bryce NPs Trip Report

Hi lrgardener. The restaurants are all in Springdale. There is a main street that runs through Springdale where our hotel, the shops and restaurants were all located. It took less than ten minutes to get to any of them.

You are an early planner like me! :-) I also forgot to mention that there is a stop for the shuttle at DPI that goes to front of the park. One can drive there and park, but the lot was full most of the time we were there. Also, although I wrote very little about Bryce, don't miss it. The WOW factor is big. I don't think one needs more than a day there, but when I first set eyes on the hoodoos, I was startled by the beauty. It is very different from Zion. I took about 50 pictures there.

We also went to the Pink Sand Dunes park. It was cool, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
210 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall 2007 - Zion/Bryce NPs Trip Report

Hi. Here are my photos from our trip. The Zion NP group also has photos of Springdale including restaurants, and area drives including one to Coral Pink Sand Dunes. The sand dunes were cool and interesting to see but I wouldn't go out of my way to go to the park since it was approx. a half hour away and what you see in the pics is all there is unless you are looking for a place to park your camper or ride an orv.

I also have photos of the one-bedroom/two bathroom suite at the Desert Pearl Inn. I tried to add my photos on my TA review, but I haven't been able to post photos from my last two trips and can't figure out why. I've really tried, but been unsuccessful. (Any tips are welcome!) I forgot to say in my review that there were two flat-panel t.v.s.

Bryce: http://www.flickr.com/photos/80123757@N00/sets/72157602814138725/

Zion: http://www.flickr.com/photos/80123757@N00/sets/72157602832111243/

Desert Pearl Inn: http://www.flickr.com/photos/80123757@N00/sets/72157602836475669/

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
834 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall 2007 - Zion/Bryce NPs Trip Report

Thank you for sharing your great pictures. They bring back memories of our trip in 06.

Northern Calif.
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall 2007 - Zion/Bryce NPs Trip Report

Thanks for sharing! We are planning a trip in Feb and your review and fantastic photos are so helpful!

British Columbia
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall 2007 - Zion/Bryce NPs Trip Report

Hi Clair;

Absolutely loved your photographs. My girlfriend and I are planning a holiday beginning Nov. 1st/08 and will be at Zion Canyon about

Nov. 4th. We were worried that it might be a little late and there might be snow but from what I've read, it should be o.k. still.

My friend isn't a great hiker so I am wondering if Bryce Canyon is good to go to if you don't hike? It looks like there is a road right through Zion, so we should be able to see lots just driving.

What are your thoughts.

Did you go to the Grand Canyon? If so, should it be the one we go and see instead?

Thanks for any advise you can give.

Elaine

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall 2007 - Zion/Bryce NPs Trip Report

Thank you so much for sharing your incredible pictures, makes me want to wish the next 8 months away so I to can see this beautiful part of the country.

What did you think of Kodachrome State Park?

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
210 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fall 2007 - Zion/Bryce NPs Trip Report

toothless, I chose to go to Zion for our Fall vacation in large part because of the mild temps/climate. October normal daily max is 78 and Nov is 63. Since you are planning for early Nov, the weather would likely be pleasant (70s). Bryce is around 10 degrees colder. Of course, nightfall comes early that time of year. My recollection is that it was light from approx. 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. That suited us as we are light hikers, and we were usually having dinner around 7 p.m. The shuttle runs through Oct. 29th, so you would be driving into the park. There are many easy hikes to choose from in Zion if you'd like to do a bit of hiking. As I wrote, we did the Narrows, but the water is/was low in Nov., although if you don't care for hiking, you may want to avoid that adventure. (The water did reach my waist in places, which you won't see in the photos since I was concentrating on balancing and not slipping. Can't imagine it in the spring.) You needn't even hike in Bryce if you don't care to. Most of my pictures are from the scenic viewpoints up above, although we did take one trip down. You can drive from viewpoint to viewpoint and the views are extraordinary.

We had been to the Grand Canyon/Sedona, etc. on another trip so it was not in our consideration at all. I do believe that the GC is one of the places in the world that every person should see. We spent two days in the GC on our trip, which was plenty, and travelled around a lot to Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon, Petrified Forest, Sunset Crater, Painted Desert, Canyon de Chelly, etc. We had a wonderful time. We were very leisurely on our Zion/Bryce trip since we needed some r&r, and didn't stray far. We were on the move when we went to Arizona and covered a lot of ground. They were both great trips. You have to choose.

Irgardener, we didn't visit Kodachrome State Park. As I said, we were being leisurely on this trip. I would love to go back as there are so many other places that I would love to have gone. I'm sure we'll be back.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fall 2007 - Zion/Bryce NPs Trip Report

We visited Kodachrome Basin SP end of september this year and Zion first week in november (yes, it was a long trip). Zion was 75F and fantastic weather with them blue skies (no garantee for this year) and Kodachrome was well worth a visit. We drove to several viewpoints and had a picnic. We had the time but if you are on a tight schedule I would concentrate on Bryce, ut12 and Capitol Reef.

Tet

10. Re: Fall 2007 - Zion/Bryce NPs Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 10:20