We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

river walk in early April in Zion National Park

3 posts
Save Topic
river walk in early April in Zion National Park

My husband and I are going to Death Valley with my two children, 6 and 11 and consider going to Zion National Park for two nights before we arrive in Death Valley on April 9th. I just wonder if it is too cold for children to do river-walk in Zion National Park. Please advise me any other optional trip before Death Valley around the area. We live in Los Angeles.

Chicago
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: river walk in early April in Zion National Park

The Riverwalk should not be too cold since you are walking along the river and not in the river. If you are referring to hiking in the Narrows, which is hiking in the river itself, I would not recommend it for children.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
77 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: river walk in early April in Zion National Park

We did the Riverside Walk trail several years ago in April.It is paved and easy. We went in the early morning one day and it was very cold as the trail was shaded and it was early in the morning. Did it again in the afternoon a few days later and was much warmer, but more people were on the trail. We didn't go into the Narrows, but when I researched it for that trip and when I saw the area, I'd probably second the other post and say it wasn't for kids. The Angel's Landing trail is good,but I have to admit, I only made it to Scout Lookout. It got too steep and scary after that for me. But even to that point it is a nice trail and there were tons of kids on it. Don't think I'd feel safe letting them go to the Landing, but I worry a lot. There were very young kids going to the landing, but it was scary to me.I also liked the Emerald Pools Trail. The park is beautiful and is my husband's favorite. It's a close second for me. Have fun!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,592 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: river walk in early April in Zion National Park

They sometimes close the trail into the Narrows during April for spring runoff. I wouldn't plan on doing that.

But there are certainly other trails in Zions. Walk to the entrance to the Narrows along what is called the Riverside walk, hike to Emerald Pools, go along hwy 9 through the tunnels, as soon as you exit them park and take the Canyon Overlook trail, keep going to Checkerboard Mesa.

You could hike to Hidden Canyon, or visit Grafton Ghost town.

In St George visit the Johnson Farm dinosaur exhibit.

North of Las Vegas is the Valley of Fire State park, which has some interesting formations and petroglyphs.

4. Re: river walk in early April in Zion National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 09:20
Get answers to your questions about Zion National Park