We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narrows + Angel's Landing?

California
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Topic
Narrows + Angel's Landing?

Is it reasonable to think we could do both of these in a day? Everyone says Angel's Landing is best in the morning, so we'd like to do it then. For us, this is not a tough hike, at least in terms of elevation gain and length. (I normally ascend 1600' to 1800' feet in one hour when hiking). So with an early start, we could do this with time to enjoy the views and take photos, in about 3 hours? Then head to the Narrows and spend another 4 hours or so there?

This would be very late September. Is there any reason one could not start a hike up the Narrows (from the bottom---not the whole thing!!) around 1:00 pm or so? Is the light bad, the water too high, the path too crowded, etc.?

Thanks!

Tampa
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Narrows + Angel's Landing?

We did the Narrows on the last day of September last year and also got a late start...probably around 1:45. We made it a little past Orderville Canyon (into Wall Street) before heading back.

We never felt rushed (I took plenty of shots...each time unpacking and setting up a tripod) but we'll get a much earlier start when we are back there this late Sept. The water level never got above my waist...I'm 6'. Just have to be mindful of where you cross.

When are you gonna be there? We'll be there Sept. 28th to Oct. 1st.

Chris

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,047 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Narrows + Angel's Landing?

I don't know about CanyonMari, but we will be there on those dates, and I am very glad to see this information! We'll be in Zion after hiking the Grand Canyon rim to rim, and I was trying to figure out how to fit in all the hikes we want to do. (Haven't been to Zion since I was 16, and I don't remember much about it). It hadn't occured to me to do both the Narrows and Angel's Landing in the same day, but that might work out well for us too.

Would Angel's Landing in the morning and the Narrows in the afternoon be the right order of business? One of our group is a professional photographer, and he'll want the best light for each.

I'm a little concerned about water that is waist-deep on a six-footer. I'm only 5'2 but happy to swim if necessary. We're planning on renting the special shoes, etc. for the trek.

If you see a small auburn-haired woman hanging on to her husband when the water gets up to her shoulders, accompanied by 4 or 5 people with British accents (one with some serious camera equipment), give us a shout.

California
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Narrows + Angel's Landing?

Thanks for the information, Chris.

We'll be there around the 25th for a few days--showing my Danish cousin and a friend from Germany around a bit.

It would have been nice, weather-wise to go a bit later, but we want to traverse Tioga Pass on our route, so didn't want to chance an early closure.

Good luck on your rim-to-rim hike, Enzian. Hoping to do that someday, but it is so hard to get the reservations!

Tampa
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Narrows + Angel's Landing?

Enzian,

Maybe to my upper or middle thigh. That only happened twice and probably could have been avoided with a better choice of where we crossed. Also, it's not like you're in deep water forging ahead...if you do encounter a deeper area it's just a few steps before you're back on the shore.

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,047 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Narrows + Angel's Landing?

Well, that's good to know.

I assume it is not a terribly strong current in late September? If I stepped into a hole I wouldn't mind, as I am a strong swimmer (and my husband nearly qualified for the Olympics in his day), but I don't know about the swimming capabilities of our British friends.

Is the Virgin a spring-fed river, so that the level says fairly constant day and night? I am more familiar with glacial-fed mountain streams, which are low in the morning and pick up during the day from the melt-off. So I am wondering if the water levels i nthe Virgin are lower in the morning hours?

Kerhonkson, New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Narrows + Angel's Landing?

We were in Zion at the end of Sept last year for only two days (bad planning on my part). So we wanted to fit a lot into those two days. On one day, we did both Observation Pt in the morning and The Narrows in the afternoon. Since Observation Pt is higher than Angel's, I don't see a problem fitting in Angels and the Narrows in one day. The Narrows in the afternoon was really nice for us b/c it cooled us down from our morning hike. The sun was right above us too. It rained a few days before so the river was a bit high and dirty, but was able to cross fine.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
640 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Narrows + Angel's Landing?

The Virgin River relies on snowpack and rain. Remember, you will be starting a few thousand feet above sea level. Be sure to factor that into climbing elevations. You are going straight up the canyon wall on a narrow trail via switchbacks.

That being said, be aware of your surroundings and the group will do just fine. I'd allow 4 hours so you aren't rushing. Afternoon light in the slot canyon is phenomenal. Water height would only be a problem if there is a thunderstorm (flash flood risk).

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,047 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Narrows + Angel's Landing?

Great to hear the afternoon light is good in the Narrows.

When you say to allow 4 hours, is that for Angel's Landing, or for the Narrows, or for each one? We will have been hiking at altitudes between 5,000 and 11,000 feet in the 2 months prior to Zion, so I don't think the altitude will slow us down on the Angel's Landing hike.

On the flash flood potential, is it safe to assume the weather forecasts are pretty accurate? That is, if we check in the morning, and no storms are forecast in the vicinity, that would be reliable?

9. Re: Narrows + Angel's Landing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Zion National Park