We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Utah Trip in May

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
176 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Utah Trip in May

I'm planning my first trip to Utah for early-mid May. I have about 7-8 days for the trip. I'd like to see Arches Park, Canyonlands, Zion and/or Bryce, drive along Rte. 12.

Is is better to fly into Salt Lake City or Las Vegas for this? Do I need hotel reservations at this time of year, or can I just drive and find space at Motel 6/Days Inn, etc? How cold can it get at night(I'm planning on doing sunrise/sunset photos).

Thanks.

Victoria
Level Contributor
448 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Utah Trip in May

You would be closer by flying into Vegas. Vegas is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from St. George. From St. George it is about 45 minutes to Zions. If you want to stay near Zions you will probably want a reservation. There are not a lot of places to stay.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,592 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Utah Trip in May

What would be better is if you could fly into SLC and out of Vegas. That way you could head to Moab area first, then Bryce/Zions and then to Vegas.

It is about 4 hours from SLC to either Moab or Bryce or Zions

It is about 3 hrs from Zions to LV.

Otherwise I guess I'd fly into the one that gives me the best rate.

It might still be chilly at night, especially in the morning.

3. Re: Utah Trip in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2009, 19:10
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
176 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Utah Trip in May

Thanks, everyone. That was really good advice. Especially about flying into SLC and flying out of Las Vegas. We happen to be flying on Southwest, so that's perfect. How many days do you recommend for Moab, Zion and Bryce?

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Utah Trip in May

Just be aware that picking a car up in one airport and leaving it in another can cost a hefty sum!

Mid-May Sat-Sun next week pick up in LAS, drop off in SLC $767 with fees & taxes. Pick up and drop off in LAS only $195. Yike! I just put both options into Travelocity and that's what I got.

Put it into Expedia.com and got $208 with LAS for pick up and drop off for a full size car. Using LAS as pick up and SLC as drop off the price came to $851.

There might be some out there that offer cheaper fees, these are just the ones I am familiar with.

Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Utah Trip in May

Yikes that is a hefty sum ! I guess I'll scratch the same idea off my plans!

We'll fly in and out of the same airport and return our car there.

We are also going to Utah to do the grand tour of the NP's in May. Ten glorious days. I've been before but this will be a first for my husband. I'm beyond excited!!

7. Re: Utah Trip in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 03:19