We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A visit to Zion with a bum knee?

California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A visit to Zion with a bum knee?

Hi there!

My hubby and I are starting to plot a road trip that will take us through Utah. We noticed that Zion is on the way, and would like to see it. I've always heard it was a place for hiking, problem is I've got a problem knee and can't go hard core. So I'm wondering if there's an "old woman's tour"? ;-)

Are there places to go to have a short stroll and see the nice views? I can do flat easy bike riding... are there any paved bike paths?

Thanks in advance! :-)

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
693 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A visit to Zion with a bum knee?

How well can you walk on flat surfaces? Yes, Zion is a great place for hiking, but there is still quite a bit to see without going "hard core". The Riverside walk is very nice and is on a paved walkway (it's not totally flat, but a little up and down). You can also ride around on the shuttles and see quite a bit. There's also Pa'rus Trail that's flat and very easy and I think bikes are allowed on it.

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
942 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A visit to Zion with a bum knee?

We've just gotten back, and you must go! Even just riding around the valley on a bike or in the shuttle will blow you away.

I did only the easy loops on the trails, as I was not used to the elevation, and I was completely awed by everything I saw. My husband did the more strenuous trails, and brought me back wonderful photos of his trips.

You can also drive Route 9 up the switchbacks, through the magnificent tunnels, and on out the east end of the canyon.

I enjoyed sitting in one place on the trail, waiting for his return down the loop, and chatting with other hikers. There is no stigma attached to being gimped up!

Enjoy the planning and the trip......

Alton Bay, New...
Level Contributor
245 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A visit to Zion with a bum knee?

Do not hesitate for a second. Zion has something for everyone. If you have to, just ride the tour bus. The Riverside walk at the end of the bus route is very flat and beautiful, paved, some handrails. It is perfect. There is the Parus Trail also which is flat. I love love Zion and am returning for the third year in a row. Also some hikes in the north west section also,

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,610 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A visit to Zion with a bum knee?

The paved bike trail is the Pa rus trail.Very flat and easy.If you put a bike on the shuttle,ride to the end of the canyon,the bike ride back to town is downhill for the most part,just a few places you have to put any effort into it.Bike rentals available in town.

California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: A visit to Zion with a bum knee?

Thank you for all the great advise!

It's only been lately that my knee's been a problem.

I'm still working as a waitress, but lately been wearing my knee brace and taking Naproxin. Going to see the doc for further investigation. Just turned 50 so there ya go! Ha ha!!

Anyway, Zion sounds beautiful and I'm more encouraged to go now since I don't have to be master mountaineer! Love Red Rocks! Been to Sedona before and loved that!

Thanks again!!! :-D

Boston
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A visit to Zion with a bum knee?

I'm so glad you asked this question! My husband and I will be in Zion at the end of June. I'm of a similar age and experiencing some unexpected hip problems. I hope they will be resolved before the trip but in case they aren't I had the same question. I'm also a bit afraid of heights so I guess Angel's Landing is out no matter what. My question is about the Narrows. Is there any way to experience part of this without commiting to the whole thing? Is the water throughout?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,887 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A visit to Zion with a bum knee?

<< My question is about the Narrows. Is there any way to experience part of this without commiting to the whole thing? >>

Absolutely. Go as far as you feel capable of knowing of course that you have to return. Lots of people start out, get a feel for what it is like and then turn around...Still a Narrows experience in my mind.

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A visit to Zion with a bum knee?

Wading in the river on the river rocks could be hard on a hip. I would be very careful. One misstep and you and your hip could be sitting in the car as the others go off.

9. Re: A visit to Zion with a bum knee?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Zion National Park