We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photography questions about Bryce and Zion to Las Vegas???

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
841 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Photography questions about Bryce and Zion to Las Vegas???

I'm an avid amateur photographer and leaving Tuesday for Bryce and Zion. This is my first trip to Bryce/ Zion. I'll hook up with some photographers in Zion.Returning from Zion to Las Vegas and have two or three questions:

I'll only be in Bryce from late Tuesday afternoon until around 1:00 Wednesday afternoon.

1. Where to shoot late afternoon and sunset in Bryce? I'll get there one to two hours before sunset.

2. Where to shoot sunrise until about 1:00 PM in Bryce? I've thought about starting at the park entrance and stopping at Sunrise and Sunset Point and Inspiration and Upper Inspiration Points and then driving south to the end of the road and making some photos down there and then heading back north. I've read that most of the photo opps are on the eastern side of the road, Then I may take a couple of the shorter hikes near the entrance. Only thing is it may snow Monday and Tuesday and its supposed to get down in the teens at night and in the 30's during the day so I'll have to be careful about ice.

3. Any good, quick places to shoot from Bryce to Springdale on Wed. PM? I'll go UT 12, 89 and 9 into Springdale (Zion) and have to be there by 5:00 PM.

4. I'm leaving Sat AM to return to Las Vegas and will have 3 to 4 hours to make photos on the way back. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I won't have time to take 2 to 4 mile hikes.

Thanks in advance,

Kent

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,073 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photography questions about Bryce and Zion to Las Vegas???

All of Bryce is on the east side of the park road. If you're there early enough, drive down to the south end and then work your way back up(down, elevation wise) to the north end. Don't miss out on the light. If you're arriving 2 hours before sunset, you won't have much time. Personally I think sunrise shooting is best from the south end.

Between Bryce and Zion you'll drive the Mt Carmel Hwy (rt 9). The photo ops as you enter Zion before the tunnel are amazing. Then after the tunnel you'll descend into Zion and have many more fabulous ops before you get to Springdale. And you haven't even been in Zion Canyon yet...

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,334 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photography questions about Bryce and Zion to Las Vegas???

Also, Red Canyon ,just before you get into Bryce is a good place for a photo.Can't miss it,you drive right thru it.

Alton Bay, New...
Level Contributor
245 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photography questions about Bryce and Zion to Las Vegas???

Check out Joe Braun Photography on google

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,334 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photography questions about Bryce and Zion to Las Vegas???

www.citrusmilo.com/joesguidetozion

Nice pics and trail descriptions.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photography questions about Bryce and Zion to Las Vegas???

The park rangers have said Bryce Point and Inspiration Point are the best areas for shooting sunrise at Bryce. Last June I followed their advice, and I have to agree that those viewpoints are incredible for sunrise. I think they are better than Sunrise and Sunset Points because you are up higher, but early morning light in Bryce is magical wherever you end up.

Beverly...
Level Contributor
264 posts
457 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photography questions about Bryce and Zion to Las Vegas???

If you have any time to make a hike down into Bryce Canyon while you're there, do it. The photography below the rim is even more impressive, as you get a sense of the size of the hoodoos. Especially impressive is the Wall Street area for photography. You can take either the Navajo or Queens Garden trail I believe. It is quite steep, but well worth it from a photographic standpoint. I did sunrise and then the hike and was done by late morning. Of course, one could easily spend much of the day exploring the area below the rim.

If you're interested in ghost towns at all, there is a well preserved town not too far from Springdale - Grafton, which has an interesting cemetery and some restored buildings.

Enjoy!

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
841 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Photography questions about Bryce and Zion to Las Vegas???

Thanks for the replies.

Kent

8. Re: Photography questions about Bryce and Zion to Las Vegas???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 02:18