We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grafton

Wabash, Indiana
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Grafton

We like western ghost towns, and we're interested in seeing Grafton, but after doing a little searching through the forums, and finding a few descriptions of the road, I'm wondering....we don't mind some dust or mud, but can we expect to drive it in a regular family-size car without doing any damage to the car? I'd rather not get partway there only to have to turn around because the road gets too bad.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grafton

Sorry I can't tell you the current condition of the road to Grafton.

But I can tell you about another town you might be interested in.

Silver Reef.

It is just west of Leeds, which is just north of Hurricane.

This has several old buildings in various states of disrepair.

The road there is totally paved. www.ghosttowns.com/states/ut/silverreef.html

www.woodworkersauction.com/silverreef.htm

Wabash, Indiana
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grafton

Looks like a good one! Thanks for the tip.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,911 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grafton

You could do that road into Grafton in a family car.Its not a rough road,and its not very far off the highway.I would avoid the road if it has been raining.

Wabash, Indiana
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grafton

OK, thanks. If it's dry, we'll probably try it.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,892 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grafton

As noted, the road is not bad. We have biked it before, too. We were actually disappointed at what was there. It's not much actually.

Have fun, lots to do in the area.

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grafton

Before you go, watch the video, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and you will have a greater appreciation for Grafton. This movie, an old Robert Redford movie, was filmed, in part there.

Portsmouth VA
Level Contributor
88 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grafton

Hope this isnt too late... we were just there Sunday morning (6/28) on our way out of town. The road was driveable in a family car, but do go slowly on the dirt road. There was one very bad ditch that would ruin the car.....

I was disappointed too - not too much to see since the gate was not open near the church. The cemetery was interesting. All in all, it is not far off the main road (a few miles) so worth it if you have time.

8. Re: Grafton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2009, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Zion National Park