We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth visiting Zion National Park?

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
57 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Worth visiting Zion National Park?

My fiance and i are spending alomost 2 weeks driving around western usa - so far our travel itinerary looks like this

April 28-May 1 - Anaheim, CA

May 1 - May 2 - Phoenix, AZ

May 2 - May 3 - Sedona, AZ

May 3 - May 4 - Grand Canyon, AZ

May 4 - May 5 - Zion NP, UT

May 6 - May 9 - Las Vegas, NV

May 9 - May 11 - Hollywood, CA

May 11 - fly back to Australia

My question is - is Zion NP worth visiting? or not?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,954 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth visiting Zion National Park?

In short, yes, it is.

Looking at your itinerary, just wondering if there's any reason you're stopping in Phoenix. Anaheim-Phoenix-Sedona-Grand Canyon in three days is a bit aggressive. Unless you had some really special reason for going to Phoenix, I would recommend skipping so you have an easier schedule.

Have fun.

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
57 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth visiting Zion National Park?

We were going to stop in Phoenix just to break up the long drive from Anaheim - Sedona - or is it best to do it in a day?

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,342 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth visiting Zion National Park?

Yes skip Phoenix and go direct to Sedona. You'll need that extra day up around Zion

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
57 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth visiting Zion National Park?

Would you recommend going to zion or monument valley?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,954 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth visiting Zion National Park?

Given your routing and time, I think Zion would be more efficient than Monument Valley.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,342 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth visiting Zion National Park?

If it has to be one or the other then Zion. Unless you have a particular desire to see Monument Valley because of it's 'iconic' status.

That probably drew us to MV on our first trip (which wasn't dissimilar to yours but a bit longer). Zion was an add on because a cousin had been there recently and suggested we might want to check it out as well on our way to Las Vegas.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worth visiting Zion National Park?

I like Zion, but depending on how long you are in the park and how much you like to hike, it may make more sense to visit one of the other parks around there (Bryce Canyon for example). There are several hikes in Zion down by the river that are nice, especially the Emerald Pools hike.

http://www.usparkinfo.com/zion.html

Like I said, I like the idea of spending 1 night in Zion and 1 in Bryce, since they are very different parks, and unless you really like to hike, a single day in each is usually enough for the casual visitor.

http://www.usparkinfo.com/byrce.html

Hope that helps!

Jeff

Lakenheath, Suffolk
Level Contributor
181 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worth visiting Zion National Park?

I hope I'm not going to upset anyone, but when we toured Utah in May this year we talked to a number of people who said that one night in Las Vegas was enough. One woman who had been about 5 years ago and was back this year thought it had gone downhill. We didn't get there at all; I think it would be worth seeing but it all depends on what you are looking for in a holiday. We are not great fans of large cities and went mostly for the scenery (which we got in abundance!).

Boston...
Level Contributor
279 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worth visiting Zion National Park?

MrsPinchy sounds very much like my wife, who spent five nights on our families trip in Vegas and has stated that she does not particularly care to ever go back there again. On the other hand, she'd go back to Zion or the Grand Canyon (or Page) at the drop of a hat, since she loved the relative calm in the small towns after her visit to the bustling city.

There's a lot of city time at the tail end of the itinerary at the top of the page (I'm assuming that the Anaheim segment equals Disneyland, which doesn't count as city time in my book). An easy decision for me would be to drop Phoenix and add a second night in Sedona instead. I'd also be sorely tempted to lose one night in Vegas and replace it with either another night in Zion or add a stop in Page. But it really depends if the posters want to spend more time in hopping cities or the laid back outdoors.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worth visiting Zion National Park?

Absolutely. We think Zion is the most incredible park...there are really 3 sections...Kolob Canyon, Zion Canyon and east Zion. You are in the bottom looking up (unless you hike and then can up at the top looking down). This is definitely worth seeing!