We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Narrows in August

Level Contributor
140 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
The Narrows in August

We will be at the park in late August, 2010 (me, wife, two boys 12 and 9) and wanted to hike the Narrows, maybe up to Wall Street, but I wonder if it is out of the question being thunderstorn season?

If okay to do as long as we check with the rangers, is the rental of dry pants recommende that time of year?

Grand Canyon, Zion, and Bryce Canyon...
118 Reviews
from US$511.00*
Bryce Canyon, Zion National Parks...
113 Reviews
from US$227.99*
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Monument...
14 Reviews
from US$948.99*
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Zion National Park...
83 Reviews
from US$598.49*
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
62,333 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Narrows in August

Always check with the park service and rangers about weather forecasts and file a trip plan.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Supai
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Narrows in August

There's a good chance you'll be able to go. As RedRox said, check with the rangers.

You won't need dry pants - the water will be warm enough in August. However, I would recommend getting a very sturdy walking stick. Since you plan on hiking in the river for a couple of hours or more, I'd also recommend special river shoes. The shoes have soles that give good traction on wet stones, and drain water quickly. Both shoes and walking stick can be rented in Springfield.

Edited: 07 January 2010, 19:25
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,131 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Narrows in August

Most of the thunderstorms that cause problems in the summer come in the later afternoon, (obviously not always, but mostly). Check the forecast the night before, get started very early, and plan to be out mid afternoon.

It is not "out of the question", but just requires more caution.

Level Contributor
120 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Narrows in August

I second the suggestion of getting the shoes and walking stick. You can rent them at the Zion Adventure Center right outside of the park. There is a shuttle stop right in front of the office. They can give you weather information and current water conditions as well. The rental is somewhere around $22-$25 for the day and well worth it. All the travel shows I saw and books I read prior to our trip mentioned you could score a walking stick right before you head in, but when we were there, no sticks were to be found. Do yourself a favor and rent the gear.

5. Re: The Narrows in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2010, 07:17
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question