We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Major road construction this summer,expect delays

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,415 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Major road construction this summer,expect delays

According to the NPS website,major road construction will start as early as May on the Switchbacks section of the Zion Mt Carmel Hwy between Canyon Junction and the west portal of the Zion tunnel.This will effect your drive from Zion to points east,like Bryce or Page.Alternate routes are available.

Expect delays,as the road will be down to one lane.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,828 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Major road construction this summer,expect delays

A good reason to get there in April.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Major road construction this summer,expect delays

Hope it will be over late october....

England
Level Contributor
898 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Major road construction this summer,expect delays

Thank you for this, dez40 - now we can be prepared to take another route if necessary (will be there in June).

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,620 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Major road construction this summer,expect delays

moo_bear, you need to know that your detour options will take you all the way around the park to the north or the south. These detours will literally take hours. Way more time than the potential delays. And more importantly, they would mean that you will miss the scenic destination that is East Zion. The scenery there is amazing and very much worth the delays. In fact, just driving through East Zion is often a major traffic jam anyway, because everyone is stopping and staring at the scenery.

My advice is to plan a little more time and keep your camera handy while you wait for the construction delays.

England
Level Contributor
898 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Major road construction this summer,expect delays

Hi RedRox - yes the delays will have to be substantial for me to want to miss that route! I've been on that road twice before and it is absolutely magical, I agree. We're taking our youngest son and his wife this year and they've been nowhere in the US. We are just making a one night stop in Springdale, between Vegas and Monument Valley - but the whole point of that stop is to (a) do the River Walk and (b) the Mt Carmel Highway. But if the delay is more than an hour, we'd be really rushed to get to Mon Valley (and might miss out on a short stop at Page/Lake Powell). Hopefully, it won't be too bad.

(Last time we were there, my husband was handed the 'baton' to take through the tunnel - he now considers himself a 'junior ranger' - LOL)

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,415 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Major road construction this summer,expect delays

Personally,I would rather sit in the traffic rather than drive all the way around.Probably take less time.And you do have a nice view if you have to wait.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
252 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Major road construction this summer,expect delays

Thanks to all who have posted on this so far. I'm planning a trip for mid-May, and the construction may (or may not) affect some of the details. I'm still going, mind you! :-) I've only been to the Moab/Arches/Canyonlands area, so I can't wait.

I also appreciate the info about how lovely the drive is -- I got stuck in traffic a few years ago driving from Squamish to Vancouver and did not care a whit because the scenery was so lovely.

But if anyone hears more details on the timing, let me know, and I will do the same.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
645 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Major road construction this summer,expect delays

Thanks Katlanta - we are going in July so will be very interested to hear how you find it. But as everyone says that the view is so gorgeous - then who cares to be stuck looking at it!

Happy travels.

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Major road construction this summer,expect delays

I agree, if you're going to GCNP or Page, then wait out the delays and enjoy the views. If one is on their way to Bryce, however, and has seen East Zion before, going back west on route 9, then route 17, and north on I-15 might not be such a bad deal. You could see the Kolob section of Zion and then take route 14 east to Cedar Breaks Nat Mon and on over to US-89 and Bryce. Maybe adds an hour plus stops for the sights I mentioned.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
645 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Major road construction this summer,expect delays

Hi Mapnut

- we are staying in Springdale, Zion and want to do a day trip to Bryce (we have not been to either place before) so, sorry if I'm asking a stupid question, but are you saying head through the road works to Bryce from Zion but come back the route you have mentioned?

We are early risers so will set off to Bryce early morning so that we can get the most of it in the limited time we have (we just couldn't face changing hotel again so decided to stay in Springdale rather than move to Bryce).

Thanks.