We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 1/2 Days--What Combo of Zion, Grand Canyon, Bryce, etc?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
3 1/2 Days--What Combo of Zion, Grand Canyon, Bryce, etc?

My family and I will be spending a couple days in Las Vegas. Beginning on a Friday morning (in July) until we fly out again that Monday around lunchtime, we have some time to explore. We're planning to rent a car and explore some combination of Zion, Grand Canyon, Bryce, or anything else around there which may be better that I'm not thinking of. We also will have 8 and 10 year old kids with us. Any recommendations on what would be the best plan of how to spend each day, or what city(ies) to get a hotel? I was thinking we might want to make it back to Vegas by Sunday night and stay there so we're ready to go to the airport the next morning, but I'm open to any ideas. Just want to make it fun and entertaining, while seeing some of the main sites too. I realize in such a short time frame we're not going to see it all. I would guess we'd have to choose either Zion or Bryce--which is better?

Thanks!

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,656 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 1/2 Days--What Combo of Zion, Grand Canyon, Bryce, etc?

IMO, the time that you have is really only enough for one park (seems to me that you really have one full day, Saturday, and part of Friday and Sunday). So, my suggestion is to pick one park and enjoy your time there. Otherwise you will be spending most of the time driving rather than in the park.

As to which park, particularly Zion or Bryce Canyon, look at the FAQ list on the UT forum page; this topic is covered specificialy. The short answer is you need to see both, but since you probably do not have the time, flip a coin. Both parks sre beautiful and you cannot go wrong either way.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,814 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 1/2 Days--What Combo of Zion, Grand Canyon, Bryce, etc?

You really don't have enough time to explore both Zion and Bryce unless you pushed it a little.

If you left Vegas early Friday morning,you could do the 5 hour drive to Bryce.You will lose an hour going into Utah.Arrive Bryce in the afternoon.Look around the the viewpoints,see the sunset.Stay overnight.

Look around Bryce in the morning,then drive the two hours to Zion.Spend all day Saturday at Zion,all day Sunday,then drive back to Vegas.Zion to Vegas is three hours,and you gain an hour going into Nevada.

For a more relaxed trip,just go to Zion.Two hours closer to Vegas,tons of things to do,nice hotels and restaurants just outside the park in Springdale.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 1/2 Days--What Combo of Zion, Grand Canyon, Bryce, etc?

Thanks for the tips!! In thinking about it, our flight out of Vegas doesn't leave until 12:45pm on Monday. Therefore, since the Zion area is only about 3 hours away, we could certainly drive into Vegas on Monday morning, giving us all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday to explore the parks--and this way see more than one!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,814 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 1/2 Days--What Combo of Zion, Grand Canyon, Bryce, etc?

You could leave for Vegas Monday morning,just leave early.The time change works in your favor.

Make reservations ASAP.You are going at a very popular time.Try for the lodge in Bryce.If you can't get in(which you probably won't) try Rubys just outside the park,or the Best Western Grand.

In Zion there are many hotel options.There is a lodge in the canyon also.But with kids and the heat in July,get a hotel in town,You will enjoy having a pool.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 1/2 Days--What Combo of Zion, Grand Canyon, Bryce, etc?

A visit to Grand Canyon NP will be another option. Las Vegas to south rim is a 5 hours drive but take your time, stop at Hoover Dam and drive to GC via old Route 66 and stop at nice place like Hackberry and Seligman

Sat: All day for GCNP

Sun: Start driving east rim towards Desert View. Stop in Cameron for the Trading Post. Drive south on us89 via the Wupatki/Sunset Volcano loop to Flagstaff and take I40 to Kingman.

Mon. Start early for the 2 hours drive to Las Vegas and your flight.

Don't want to keep you away from Zion and Bryce though but you also mentioned Grand Canyon.

You should make reservation for GC right now, prob too late already www.grandcanyonlodges.com

Tet

6. Re: 3 1/2 Days--What Combo of Zion, Grand Canyon, Bryce, etc?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Zion National Park