We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hydration ....

bflo
Level Contributor
140 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
hydration ....

So.... staying in hotels in Southern Utah/Arizona mid August...

Sedona, South Rim G.C., Bryce, Lake Powell, Zion

Wife and two boys age12 and 9

Going on easy to moderate hikes...(Emerald pools, Narrows day, Navajo Loop etc...)

Really dont want to buy camelbacks for all four of us as there is no way they will all get regularly used after this trip.

Are we good w/neoprene bottles for all and some back up water???

Are there vendors/consessions in the park parking lots selling water?

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
356 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: hydration ....

I don't know if there are any vendors in the parking lots.....but it always best to start hydrating yourself 3 days BEFORE you go on any hikes. The hikes you described do not call for Camelbacks. But water is important even on short hikes. You can take "smart water" it has electrolights in it but that is pretty expensive. Plain water is the best...but you sweat it out the fast. My wife & I take a mix of Gatorade bottles and water. If you do drink gatorade......make sure that from every amount you drink of it...you then drink an equal amount of water right after it. We will take to or three sips of each at a time. Gatorade alone will NOT keep you from having heat exhaustion.....you need the water along with it. I would carry extra in the vehicle (cases of each). You should also keep hydrating yourself back in the motel at night......EVEN if you are NOT thirsty...that will help you the next day. My wife and I hike the Utah desert all summer long.....I do not use a Camel Back...she does...but seldom uses it....but she also carries bottles..seems that is what she uses most.

http://reddirtdawg.blogspot.com/

http://anasaziruins.blogspot.com/

Edited: 10 May 2010, 23:08
Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
356 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hydration ....

On a side note....you will want to carry your bottles of water and Gatorade on fanny packs...you don't want to have to carry them in your hands while you are hiking. Please forgive me if you already know this.......they are much less expensive than Camelbacks. Like I said...for every bottle of water we carry...we carry a bottle of Gatorade along with it. Along with carrying the water on either side of the fanny pack....I also stuff the fanny pack with bottles...not many snacks in the pack. Remember the rule of 3's You cannot go more than ~

3 minutes without oxygen

3 hours without heat (hypothermia)

3 days without water

3 weeks without food.

So I would rather carry water than food..... unless you get lost...the only thing you have to worry about is heat exhaustion....carry more water than food.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,904 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hydration ....

We have found some nice little pouches that will fit any 12-20 oz bottles of water. Then you sling them across your shoulders. Otherwise I always have an very lightweight daypack I can throw the water and snacks in.

Reddirtdawg is right, but don't worry, it isn't really a survival course if you take the park trails.

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
356 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hydration ....

Hey Kbecjeans ~ thanks for helping me out there. I don't hike the park trails too much anymore and I think I just started getting into my survival mode thinking about the trails I normally hike......sorry, I hope I didn't scare anyone. Of course safety is always first out here in the West but they won't have any trouble on the park trails. Now I got myself all worked up and want to go hiking tomorrow myself, maybe Canyonlands. LOL

bflo
Level Contributor
140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hydration ....

Thank you very much for the reply. I am obviously not taking this lightly. It does seem as though any hiking we do will be on the trail and we will be okay. I intend to carry more water/gatorade than needed, but dont think a camelback is needed for each of the four of us.

Edited: 11 May 2010, 18:31
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,598 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hydration ....

For what it's worth, I do both long dayhikes and multi-day backpacks and never use a reservoir ("camelback"). I prefer Nalgene type bottles but also know lots of veteran hikers who prefer to reuse the wide-mouth gatorade bottles (they're lighter.)

The issue isn't the container but the volume. In the summer months, you'll want to be able to carry 2-3 liters per person.

I think Zion discourages the sale of water bottles in general. The norm is to refill water bottles. I saw water spigots at the Visitor's Center and Zion Lodge. There are probably other shuttle stops as well.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,904 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hydration ....

<<you'll want to be able to carry 2-3 liters per person.>>

I think that is per day. You certainly wouldn't need 3 liters for a trip to Emerald Pools or Navaho loop.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,598 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hydration ....

>> I think that is per day. You certainly wouldn't need 3 liters for a trip to Emerald Pools or Navaho loop.

I was talking about capacity -- i.e. you want to have enough containers, reservoirs, whatever for 2-3 liters. And, yes, some hikes will require much less than that.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,562 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hydration ....

There's also a water spigot at the Grotto stop for Angel's Landing. They don't sell bottled water any more but they don't want people dropping dead either, so there are plenty of options to fill up..

10. Re: hydration ....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Zion National Park