We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Angels Landing a must do hike...

Tallahassee
Level Contributor
151 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Angels Landing a must do hike...

A must do hike is Angels Landing!! The trail up to Scouts Lookout is very safe and you get incredible views along the way. Even if you are afraid of heights, this part of the trail is very safe and not to worry. It's the last part that is the steep cliff sides so if you can't handle steep drop offs - rest at Scouts lookout and enjoy the view. Go on if you can...it's worth the extra time. I work out 5 nights a weeks so the steep trails were not a problem for me. My two teenage kids and wife did very well also, just stopping now and again to catch breath.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,704 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Angels Landing a must do hike...

Angels Landing is indeed an exciting, exhilarating and amazing hike. The views are better than advertised. However, while the hike is encouraged, it should not be considered a 'must do' hike. unfortunately too many people believe their Zion experience will be incomplete if they fail to make it to Angel's Landing. And every year, someone perishes because of this misguided advice.

Zion NP is one of the most beautiful places in the world and if you visit you will never forget it. But don't feel that you absolutely must hike the treacherous climb to Angel's Landing. If you are fit and prepared and have no fear of heights and know how to climb safely, go for it. But if not, choose any and many of the other hikes and walks in Zion and you will still be impressed.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Angels Landing a must do hike...

Well stated, RedRox. I had Angels Landing on the must TRY list for our first visit to Zion, and we (DW and I) really enjoyed the hike to Scouts Lookout. But we had both studied the info on the last strecth to Angels Landing and once we looked as that part of the trail, we opted to pass (I just am not comfortable with sheer drops and edges). But the hike to Scouts Lookout was great, the views from SL were beautiful plus we hiked out the West Rim Trail a bit and enjoyed the scenery and critters along that less used trail.

So, yeah, Zion has much to offer that will make for a great visit regardless of someone's hiking skills and nerve.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,430 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Angels Landing a must do hike...

Angels Landing is my favorite hike at Zion, heights and sheer dropoffs don't bother me,and the views at the top and along the way are just incredible.

But that hike is not for everyone.I have seen too many people frozen in fear that have no business being up there.For those with great fears of heights,Scouts Lookout is a great alternative,that is relatively easy and safe to hike to.

But for people with no fears and in decent shape,it is an amazing hike that is unlike any other.

Tallahassee
Level Contributor
151 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Angels Landing a must do hike...

Maybe my opinion on the "must do" came across wrong. I too agree that not everyone should "go the distance" to the summit as it can be quite fearful if you are afraid of heights and I was also, on that final stretch, at times, a bit nervous (probably cause I was also carrying a camera and tripod in one hand). However, the point I was trying to make is that 90% of the trail - up to Scouts Lookout, is very safe and a wide enough trail that anyone with any fear of heights would probably be fine up to Scouts Lookout. Since the whole trail is called "Angels Landing" that why I said "do this hike." Go as far as you can. STOP at Scouts Lookout if you are fearful of heights because the last part of the trail is quite steep. But don't miss out on the beautiful views on the way up and down to/from Scouts Lookout. The reward, even to Scouts Lookout is very much worth the try. Don't put yourself in danger going past SL but go and enjoy the views as far as you can.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Angels Landing a must do hike...

Thanks for the clarification, rtsunset. Sounds like we are all on the same page with the Angels Landing hike. Great hike no matter how far you go! Even for folks like me who stop at Scouts Lookout.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,372 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Angels Landing a must do hike...

I am one of those who would have been frozen in fear if I had tried the last stretch to Angels' Landing, but I wouldn't have missed the climb up to Scout's Lookout for anything. As clarified, this is a valuable point--nobody should cross off Angel's Landing because they don't think they could make it all the way. Its a great walk even without "summiting."

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Angels Landing a must do hike...

How long doe it take to get to the trail head for Angels Landing from Springdale? Also, about how long will it take to reach Scout's Landing? and then the peak?

Thanks!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,430 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Angels Landing a must do hike...

The trip from Springdale to the Grotto trailhead is probably about 20-25 minutes on the shuttle,give or take.Never really timed it.

The trail to the top of Angels Landing is 2.5 miles.Scouts Lookout is 2 miles.The last 1/2 mile is the section with chains and dropoffs.Average round trip time is about 4 hours.

While you are up that way,you may want to continue on up the West Rim trail a little ways.Nice views.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
483 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Angels Landing a must do hike...

I turned back after the first bump after Scouts Landing. Partly because of nerves, but these were magnified by the sheer number of people that were there. You can get long waits as a line of people comes the other way along a section of chain, and including people who are very slow because they are petrified. I just thought "I'm on vacation, and I'm not enjoying myself". This was about 1100 on a Saturday in mid-May, and as we were coming down there were far more people coming up than there had been earlier.

So time your visit carefully.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Angels Landing a must do hike...

I second continuing up the west rim trail after scouts. A local/previous visitor I passed suggested I go up there. Glad I did. About 20 minutes up beyond Scouts it becomes a giant boulder you walk on. Very hot but very pretty. The scenery changes from the orange rock to yellow to white stone and you pass this really cool orange indentation that looks like a tiny cave on the way up. Really pretty.

As far as Angels, I was solo for this trip and had a heavy pack with water/first aid/food/trekking poles...over prepared perhaps, perhaps not. I couldn't leave the pack at the bottom so I started it with it. Kind of cumbersome.

But, on the first hill at the steepest part there are no more chains. You have to scramble up barely there surface full of sand and nothing to hold onto. Maybe I am over exageratting, I don't know, to me it seemed pretty scary and doubly scary with a heavy daypack full of gear to throw my balance off.

I was really disapointed because I wanted to get much further once I started it. Interestingly enough, at that point it was easier and less scary coming down than going up. Total opposite than what I thought.

So I would say yes this hike is a must do to Scouts and actually I believe a must do to the flat rocks 20 minutes up the West Rim because of the change in trail(not just a paved path) and the dramatic change in scenery.