We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Footwear/sock for children

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Footwear/sock for children

I've sent messages to a couple of the outfitters in Springdale ( waiting to hear back), but I was wondering, are there rentals for childrens 5 10 canyoneer shoes and neoprene socks? My kids shoes sizes range from 1 , 2/3, 5 and well, my 12 yr old is in men's shoes so he's no problem, lol.

If they don't have rentals for the kids, will the Keen Newport H2's be ok for shoes? I was able to buy all but my 10 yr old those, he got the Firefly River Runner Pro Sandal as they didn't have his size in the Keen's. What about socks to keep their feet warm if they don't have neoprene in their size? Is their something else small tootsies can wear?

Thanks for any help!

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Footwear/sock for children

Oh guess I should clarify what we are using them for, LOL. It's for the Narrows non-permit section. So hoping that if we can rent the 5 10 canyoneers and neoprene socks, they will be ok still with the ones we bought them.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Footwear/sock for children

Zion Adventures should have some kids sizes for shoes.If they don't,then get some water shoes,preferably ones with a toe in them,not sandals.The rocks are very slippery and your feet sometimes slide off,so its nice to have some toe protection.What month is your trip? I have gone without neoprene socks until late October,even though I had them because I didn't think it was that cold.But with kids you should probably try to get some.Regular cotton socks just get wet and stay wet and don't do much for warmth.

Edited: 11 August 2010, 14:45
Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Footwear/sock for children

We actually leave in 2 days.. will arrive late in the evening on the 14th, so hopefully the water shouldn't be too cold. The keens are a sandal type water shoe with a closed toe, the Firefly river runners are also supposed to be a sandal with closed toe, but they look almost more like a runner honestly. Would be nice if we could just rent them all the 5 10's though. :)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,686 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Footwear/sock for children

We were there only a couple weeks ago. There were kids in the water when we went wearing all kinds of things. Very few of the families had the boots and socks.

Though we had socks for everyone, one son had keen type sandals that wouldn't fit over the socks, so he didn't wear them. The water was warm and he didn't miss them. He went to Big Springs and was in the water all day. Another son wore open toed sandals, with the socks and he did fine. Another son wore hiking shoes.

I wore the socks because I rented the boots for the ankle support and the gripping power of the soles, and they wouldn't give us the boots without the socks. But the socks weren't really needed to keep my feet warm, the warm water combined with the air temp was warm enough.

All this to say that if they don't have the boots and socks small enough the sandals will probably be just fine since I can't see you needing the socks to keep warm.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Footwear/sock for children

Fantastic!! This puts my mind at ease about cold feet anyway. :) I'll still try and get everyone the 5 10's with sock regardless, but if we can't get them, I won't worry too much then.

Did you find in this weather that fleece sweater/jackets are needed for the hike? Uncertain as to whether we should pack those for everyone or not.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,686 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Footwear/sock for children

If it is still in the 90's air temps, you will not need any jackets. Fleece will just get wet and weigh you down. Don't take that at all.

I'm not saying you wouldn't want that for something else, night time in the mountains gets chilly.... just not the Narrows.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Footwear/sock for children

Ah ok.. perfect then! One less thing for each of us to lug around. :) Thank you again!

bflo
Level Contributor
140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Footwear/sock for children

I was able to reserve the shoes through Zion Adventure Company for my 9 year old, who is like a size three. You shouls just call them. They are great to deal with. We made the arrangements when we reserved another tour with them.

Call em or shoot them another email inquiring about reserving the shoes and socks.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Footwear/sock for children

Thank you flyingpig. Zion Adventure Company just emailed me and wonderfully they have socks and shoes for all but my 6 yr old. They have socks for her, but they said they will use keen shoes.. which we already bought her so we'll just need to rent her socks. Yay!

10. Re: Footwear/sock for children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2011, 07:19