We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zion Versus Death Valley -- Possible Switch?

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
600 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Zion Versus Death Valley -- Possible Switch?

We were heading to Zion this weekend, flying into Vegas and see the highs for the weekend are 49-60 degrees. Not exactly my ideal climate for biking and hiking. Weather in Death Valley is mid 80s for the same period. Since we have not been to either destination and we've had a cold, rainy spring.....would it make sense to switch our trip to Death Valley and save Zion for a future period? Just afraid I will want to spend the majority of my time in the shuttles or is it dry desert air that won't feel cold?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,588 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zion Versus Death Valley -- Possible Switch?

Well, it for sure will be warmer in Death Valley. And, yes, 60 degrees is still coolish although do-able. I just don't know that you'll have that great a time switching to Death Valley as the infrastructure there isn't as good. In Zion you have a community, shops, restaurants, a well developed park, etc. In Death Valley, well, you have Death Valley. It's a spectacular landscape. But I'm not sure it's a meaningful substitute for what you would gain hiking and biking in Zion.

The good news is that it's sunny all weekend, or at least forecast.

If you really feel you need an alternative, I would consider staying in Vegas and hiking/biking the redrock country there. At least in the evening you would have more to do.

Have fun, you can't really go too wrong with any of the choices.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
600 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zion Versus Death Valley -- Possible Switch?

We have already done the Red Rocks hiking and have two days in Las Vegas already planned. Yes, the lodging and facility options are less in Death Valley but I am wondering if the landscape is worth the change. The Furnace Creek resort also offers bike rentals and that is one of the excursions we were hoping to do in Zion.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,357 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zion Versus Death Valley -- Possible Switch?

where did you see the weather would be 49/60 highs for this weekend?

the two weather websites i checked has this weekend highs at 70 degrees for fri, for sat 60's and sun low 70's,

forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php…

www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USUT0276

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,298 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zion Versus Death Valley -- Possible Switch?

If it's sunny in Zion, you can't lose. The waterfalls should be fantastic right now.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,677 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zion Versus Death Valley -- Possible Switch?

If you rent bikes at Furnace Creek and start riding from there, just be advised it is wide open desert for miles.While very pretty, there are no trees ,no shade,no water,no services except the resort.I live in the desert, I race in the desert,but if I had an option this late in the season, I would pick Zion.At least you have trees and water.I live near Palm Springs with temperatures similar to DV and it has been near 100 all week.And it has been incredibly windy.

Edited: 28 April 2011, 03:16
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,902 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zion Versus Death Valley -- Possible Switch?

I haven't been to Death Valley, so don't know what the attraction is there.

Zion is still in the throes of spring. The upper mesas will have snow, the narrows hike is closed as are some of the other backcountry hikes.

Normally this is the perfect time to visit, but if you want to do some of the more extreme hikes you might run into muddy trails, or snow.

However in the main canyon I expect it would be wonderful. There are hikes enough for a couple days.

There is some biking in Snow Canyon state park west of St George which is lower and wouldn't have the snow.

It will be warm enough unless there is a storm.

Edited: 28 April 2011, 03:25
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zion Versus Death Valley -- Possible Switch?

I'm a huge fan for both Zion and Death Valley but for "hiking and biking" I'd pick Zion hands down right now.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Zion Versus Death Valley -- Possible Switch?

The two parks are about as different as you can get. The scenery doesn't change as much in Death Valley. I too am a fan of both, but I agree, Zion is better for "hiking and biking". IMO, for Death Valley, you need to get off road in a 4WD.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
600 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zion Versus Death Valley -- Possible Switch?

Well yesterday "weather.com" was showing high of 49 in the park and 60 in Springdale. Maybe things have changed but now there are high winds -- I live in windy Wisconsin and that can lower your temps significantly. We have had a cold, rainy spring so I was looking for some warmth....this weekend it will be a high of 60 and sunny in Wisconsin, comparable to Zion.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zion Versus Death Valley -- Possible Switch?

Although the weather in Las Vegas today is supposed to be close to 90, by Saturday it's supposed to be in the upper 60's with some wind. (Naturally, that's when my triathlon is!!! grr!!)

If the OP is looking for warmer weather I would say go with Death Valley. Zion is cooler than Las Vegas. Even tho I typically prefer Zion over Death Valley, I still think Death Valley is an amazing place to visit. There will probably be loads of wildflowers in DV right about now.