We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Zion

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
262 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Zion

Just back from a fabulous family vacation where many fond memories were made. Thank you to all on Trip advisor who gave recommendations and comments. It was extrememly helpful in my planning. We went Zion, Bryce, Page, Grand Canyon, Sedona and Vegas in 13 days. I will break my report into the various destinations. This section will just cover the Zion portion.

Stayed at Desert Pearl in Springdale. Loved it. We had a room overlooking the river. It had 2x queen beds and a sofa bed. The five of us were very comfortable. Loved the decor. Also had good size kitchen with microwave, toaster oven and a good size refrigerator. We arrived in the evening just in time to see sunset. Had dinner at Oscars. Sorry but I'm not a huge fan didn't realize it was all Mexican food.

1st day. Up early to hike before it got too hot. Caught the bus just outside Desert Pearl into park. Switched bus to go into the park. We hiked Emerald pools to top and weeping rock. Then back to town for lunch. In the pm we rented tubes from Zion Adventure and went tubing down the virgin river. This was a lot of fun and took about 1.5-2 hrs. Not just a lazy river ride it was more like pinball game but a lot of fun for the whole family. In the evening went to Zion Adventure to rent our boots, socks and poles for our Narrows hike the next day. We watched an orinetation film which really freaked the kids out. They thought I was crazy to let them do this as they were going to die of hyperthermia and there was going to be a flash flood. Anyway I persisted that this would be a good idea (Trip Advisor said so). Lunched at Switchback Jacks and dinner at the Flying Monkey place. Woodfire Pizza is fab at Flying Monkey

2nd day. Caught bus to Last stop to hike the narrows. Not many people there at 8:30am. Kids were a bit nervous. Anyway we approached the river with a few others and soon got the hang of it. We were very grateful for our boots, socks and poles. We did see others struggling. Not far into the hike the water reached our chests. It wasn't nearly as cold as I expected. We hiked all the way to the end of wall street. We stopped for snacks on the way and way back and swam in spots. It got quite crowded toward the end of the day. From the time we got off the bus to the time we got back on the bus (totally spent) was 7 hrs. I have to say that my husband and son on the way down never left the water they loved walking in the river with the current. All fears had gone away and if you asked my son what was is fav part of our trip it was Hiking the narrows!

We wore swim suits with a shirt that was taken off and put into dry bags when the water got deep. We hired dry bags from Zion Adventure. These kept our snacks, shirts and a towel dry.

Dinner at Wildcat Willies - It was great. Although too exhausted to really enjoy it.

LOVED ZION!!!!

On way to Bryce we stopped just after the tunnel (lucky to get a park in the very small car park) We hiked Overlook Canyon. Would not have know about this if not for trip advisors good directions and advice.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Zion

Thanks for sharing your adventures in Zion. Sounds like you had a blast! Looking forward to the next installment....

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,236 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Zion

Sounds like a great time was had by everyone.The river is running a little deep this year!

TN
Level Contributor
521 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Zion

Thanks for the trip report! We will be at Zion the end of October and hoping to hike part of the Narrows. Every other time we have been there the river has been too high. We haven't tried Wildcat Willies but will have to do so.

USA
Level Contributor
428 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Zion

Thanks for taking time to post report. We are staying in the park one day and 2 days out at Desert Pearl too. I am glad you liked the place. But we won't be at hotel much to enjoy it probably! Some good tips in your report, and I am just getting utterly giddy in anticipation of my upcoming trip, lol.

Pleased to know you all had a good time and that everything went well.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,999 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Zion

I'm so glad you talked everyone into hiking the narrows. It is indeed a special place.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,465 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Zion

Looking forward to the rest of your TRs. It was fun to help you plan.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Zion

Loved reading your TR. Glad everyone enjoyed the narrows!

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,216 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Zion

Funny to hear your kids say they couldn't believe you would let them do that. Glad you all survived and had fun while doing it. We agree the Desert Pearl is just the best place. On to the next installment.

9. Re: Trip Report Zion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 01:15