We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narrows Flow Rate

virginia
Level Contributor
261 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Narrows Flow Rate

Does anyone know what the CFS (Cubic Feet per Second) is right now in the Narrows? Just curious to the flow since I will be hiking the Narrows in four weeks. Thank you!

3-Day National Parks Tour from Las...
118 reviews
from US$511.00*
Bryce Canyon and Zion Small-Group Tour
112 reviews
from US$227.99*
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Monument...
14 reviews
from US$948.99*
US$998.99
Special Offer
3-Day National Parks Camping Tour...
83 reviews
from US$598.49*
US$629.99
virginia
Level Contributor
261 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Narrows Flow Rate

…noaa.gov/river/…

I answered my own question!

USA
Level Contributor
428 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Narrows Flow Rate

Hi TravelingThruEurope

Glad you found the answer, but can you tell me what graph says in plain English? So is flow 50-60 cfs right now? Is that a lot? I think white water rafting you want something like 200+ cfu maybe ?

60 cfu may not wash you along but if water is high, would it?

Just curious. What should I take out of this data?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,239 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Narrows Flow Rate

There is a graph and data on the Zion NPS site that is a little more user friendly.

On that one the instantaneous value is 55cfm for today,which is about normal for this time of year.

Rafting permits are offered after 140 CFS and the Narrows open to hiking at 120 which is still a lot of water.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,239 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Narrows Flow Rate

Try this.

waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv…

If you look back in 2002 they had a low flow of 22 on this date, and in 1992 had a big flow of 203.Todays flow fall in the average.

Edited: 23 August 2011, 05:04
USA
Level Contributor
428 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Narrows Flow Rate

Ha, this is fun stuff.

I went on that usgs.gov site and played around with the parameters. Put in 120 days for graph and got back the flow/discharge rate and gage height from May to now. Wow, it's been a precipitous drop from spring to now, looks just like my stock portfolio unfortunately!

Thanks.

6. Re: Narrows Flow Rate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2012, 23:16