We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woohoo!! Victory dance...

USA
Level Contributor
388 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Woohoo!! Victory dance...

Well we made it both to Angels Landing and the Narrows. I just posted few pictures on TA if you want to see how glorious the weather was this past weekend.

tripadvisor.com/members-photos/midwestwander…

It was definitely worth the price of admission. Park pass is good for 7 days they say, but we wouldn't have lasted that long. Angels Landing and the Narrows just about had us hitting the wall. Everything hurts right now, but it was sooo good!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,610 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woohoo!! Victory dance...

Pictures look good. Hope that weather stays nice, I'm heading up this weekend.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,887 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woohoo!! Victory dance...

Congratulations! Aren't they fabulous? Nice pics.

TN
Level Contributor
508 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woohoo!! Victory dance...

Congrats!! We will be at Zion next week. Is there much fall color yet?

Watertown...
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Woohoo!! Victory dance...

Great pictures..hope I don't chicken out. I'll be there in 7 days..really looking forward to it.

How cold was the Narrows? Did you need a wet suit?

USA
Level Contributor
388 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Woohoo!! Victory dance...

Hi

Last weekend the landscape was still fairly green with just occasional fall colors here and there. I think all of you have timed it more or less perfect. And the forecast is for sun and no rain. Yabba Dabba Doooo!

Edited: 20 October 2011, 01:53
USA
Level Contributor
388 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Woohoo!! Victory dance...

@Lisa W

Our experience at the Narrows:

Remember that the weather has been unseasonably nice there lately. Who knows when Mother Nature decides to revert back to the “normal”? Last week the water was about 47-50F according to a local guide. If you want to last 4 hours plus comfortably, you would want a wet suit. I had one of those farmer johns with a jacket, and I kept that on all the time. Got a bit cold when we stopped and had lunch in a shady portion in Orderville canyon, but otherwise I was ok. Neoprene booties and shoes, sometimes wished I also had gloves. I actually carried more water than needed (a camel bag and another bottle) Most of the way was in shade so that helped I think, and you didn’t think about drinking when surrounded by water, lol. Definitely have a walking stick. We had a waterproof bag and were too liberal with what we took, that kind of weighed us down a bit. Next time I would pare down to just a couple of power bars and forego the full take out sandwich from Oscar!

I say next time because I need to go back to get my pictures. I had a waterproof camera too (the Sony D10) but the battery ran down sitting in the car. When we got to the trail I was able to take only one stinking picture of my son in his penguin outfit before camera died on us. Some choice words were had between husband and wife…

Anyhoo, once we got to the fork we decided to explore Orderville canyon. The entry was rather spooky, the passage slightly darker and narrower, quieter too. Soon we saw a lot of obstacles like big boulders and huge tree trunk pile ups that could only happen in flash floods! This required some scrambling and swimming in deeper, icy pools. We got to a more or less open area where the wall of the canyon shimmered with streaks of gold and copper tones. You can only see it at the angle going in, not directly in front or on way out. That was pretty neat. We stopped at a smallish waterfall and where riverbed was flat to have lunch. Our energy level now low enough that we decided best to head back. Going back was a bit easier and we had fun floating down the lazy river in parts. Just beware of feet caught in rocks as it did with one of us.

About ANGELS LANDING:

We felt pretty wiped out after a day in the Narrows, and were glad we did Angels Landing the day before. From reading posts here, we knew to start early on the hike to avoid the rush hour at noon. I enjoyed the relative solitude in early morning, watching the sunlight descends slowly down the canyon wall. This became my wall clock of sort during the hike.At about noon the trail gets fairly congested with each shuttle bus arrival. Descending from AL, we had to stop at really awkward places to let people pass by. Lisa W, your chance of making it is very good, but don’t worry either way. There are plenty of nice vistas to enjoy way before the “summit”. A climber once said,” Getting to the summit is optional, getting down is mandatory.”!

ODDS AND ENDS:

One day spent at Zion Lodge and 2 at Desert Pearl Inn. The cabin we had at Zion Lodge had a fireplace, beams on ceiling and wood floors. Beddings and linen were nicer than the usual institutional stuff found in other NP lodges. But like the experts here have said many times, this one NP is so close to a town that you do not need to stay inside park. Desert Pearl Inn for example deserves its high ratings for warm welcome, nice accommodations, and the services provided (pool, hot tube, laundry room, free movies to check out, fridge, microwave, toaster oven). Inn is clean and well maintained.

I sure messed up on the time zones between Las Vegas and Zion (PST and MST). We left too early to go back to Las Vegas airport, and so decided to stop by Valley of Fire Nevada State Park. It was a worthwhile detour to see the alien looking rock formations in the middle seemingly nowhere! Give yourself about 1.5 hours there.

Good luck and come back to tell us what you did.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Woohoo!! Victory dance...

Great pics thanks

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Woohoo!! Victory dance...

Very nice description of the Narrows. Glad you were able to experience both that and Angel's Landing. Definitely 2 must-sees.

9. Re: Woohoo!! Victory dance...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 10:23
Get answers to your questions about Zion National Park