We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hikes with children in Zion

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
501 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
hikes with children in Zion

Hi. I have never been to zion before and it looks as though there are some spectacular walks you can do. I am just wondering what walks you would recommend with children aged 7 and 9. thanks

Grand Canyon, Zion, and Bryce Canyon...
119 Reviews
from US$511.00*
Bryce Canyon, Zion National Parks...
119 Reviews
from US$227.99*
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Zion National Park...
85 Reviews
from US$598.49*
US$629.99
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Monument...
16 Reviews
from US$948.99*
US$998.99
Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
237 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hikes with children in Zion

Hi, Two walks I'd recommend (having done them) recently, with young children are the Pa'rus Trail and the Riverside Walk Trail, both are flat and easy to do. There are others that they'd probably manage too.

Have a look at the official National Parks website for Zion NP, they have a downloadable newspaper that's full of information including the hikes and levels (i.e. easy, moderate and strenuous). There's also another fantastic website full of great info for hikes that I picked up from reading this forum, Joe's Guide to Zion. I don't know if we're allowed to post specific links on this forum but I'm sure if you google them you'll find the link anyway, I daresay others will know if links are allowed and will post them for you.

Have fun planning!

Mentioned in this post
Pa'rus Trail
Pa'rus Trail
154 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Riverside Walk
Riverside Walk
269 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
USA
Level Contributor
429 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hikes with children in Zion

DE Dez gave me this link which describe the hikes

www.citrusmilo.com

If your kids are not the kind that bounce all over uncontrollably then most are doable. Angels Landing is steep and can be strenous for all ages. But you could even try it part way. The two mentioned above are very nice and I like the Canyon Overlook trail too. Upper Emerald Pool I heard is nice but I did not do it.

I probably would stay with easy to moderate.

Bring water and snacks.

I saw a father holding out a bag of treats and shaking it in front of his daughter to motivate her to walk up Angels Landing, LOL.

Mentioned in this post
Angel's Landing
Angel's Landing
2,434 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Canyon Overlook Trail
Canyon Overlook Trail
681 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,598 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hikes with children in Zion

Lower Emerald Pool trail would be easy. Middle and Upper take a little more effort, but your kids could do it.

I would think twice about taking the kids up Angels Landing.It really depends on how you and the kids handle heights and dropoffs.You could take them as far as Scouts Lookout for some great views.

Weeping Rock is a nice short trail.

When is this trip? In winter you need to be careful with ice on the trails.

Mentioned in this post
Angel's Landing
Angel's Landing
2,434 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hikes with children in Zion

Agree with the suggestions above. Hike to Scout's Lookout and skip the extension to Angel's Landing (it's too dangerous).

Emerald Pools are nice as well, but stay away from the edges. Fatal falls may occur here as well, if the children are not cautious.

Mentioned in this post
Angel's Landing
Angel's Landing
2,434 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Emerald Pools
Emerald Pools
1,354 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,239 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hikes with children in Zion

Riverside Trail,

Canyon Overlook

Lower Emerald Pools

West Rim trail to Scout's lookout (I myself would never take kids on Angel's Landing)

Pa'rus,

Watchman,

Weeping Rock

Mentioned in this post
Emerald Pools
Emerald Pools
1,354 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
West Rim Trail
West Rim Trail
47 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Angel's Landing
Angel's Landing
2,434 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Riverside
Riverside
California
Watchman Campground
Watchman Campground
336 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,239 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hikes with children in Zion

Also I haven't done it, and it took too long to find it to add it to the other post,

but there is a short easy hike up Pine Creek to the first waterfall, the whole Pine Creek trail is a canyoneering trail, but I think the first little part is short and easy.

And Kayenta to Middle Falls also.

Mentioned in this post
Kayenta
Kayenta
250 Reviews
St. George, UT
USA
Level Contributor
429 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hikes with children in Zion

Sorry, I don't mean to suggest your kids do that last chained bit of Angels Landing. I call the whole trail Angels Landing but maybe that's not correct. Up to Scout's Lookout is not dangerous but still challenging because of uphill grade. It will also be tough if you are here in winter. The winds may blow your twiggy daughters around. And wet or icey trails like Dez said.

Mentioned in this post
Angel's Landing
Angel's Landing
2,434 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
501 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hikes with children in Zion

thank you so much everyone for your help!!!!

Tripadvisor is awesome!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,666 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hikes with children in Zion

Lynette, when is your trip? If it's in June, July, Aug or Sept I'd recommend the Narrows hike. We went this summer with our girls (ages 10 and 7) and were able to do a portion of the Narrows on the day that it opened, so the water was running very fast. It would have been more enjoyable for them later in the summer when the water level is lower, but it was really late opening this year (lots of snow melt). I think that was definitely my kids' favorite thing to do at Zion. I don't think I'd try it with kids in the cooler months just because part of the fun is being hot and getting wet to cool off. You can rent wet suits and dry suits if you want to try it in cooler temps.

Mentioned in this post
The Narrows
The Narrows
2,775 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
501 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hikes with children in Zion

We are there mid April. Too cool do you think? Thanks.