We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

horseback riding at Bryce Canyon

Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
horseback riding at Bryce Canyon

Has anyone taken the riding tour at Bryce? There were some older posts, but I would like some comments from travelers on recent rides. Would you consider the outfit that runs the tours, responsible about safety concerns?

We would like to do this in May, but are not sure if the two hour tour gives enough time to see the canyon. How much more would you see with the 1/2 day tour? Guess it would certainly a bit more painful!!!!

Do the tours go down into the canyon?

Has anyone done the horseback rides in Monument Valley?

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: horseback riding at Bryce Canyon

It has been a few years since I took the horse/mule ride at Bryce Canyon, but I can say that it was a very nice ride and the outfitter took safety very seriously.

Here's the link to the outfitter:

http://www.canyonrides.com/

These are the folks that will take you into the main amphitheatre inside the park (there are other outfitters that do rides outside the park).

We (my wife and I) did the half-day ride and it did provide a great tour through the hoodoos. BTW, my wife rode a horse and I was on a mule.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,331 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: horseback riding at Bryce Canyon

That company has been a concessionaire with the park service for a long time.You have nothing to worry about.

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: horseback riding at Bryce Canyon

My sister did the 1/2 day trail ride at Bryce in September; she also did trail rides at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and at Zion. She thought all three were excellent but was especially impressed with the one at Bryce. She wrote a detailed account of all three rides for the TR I posted on TA in the fall; she wrote just one account of all 3 rides, so we put it in the AZ section of the TR. She had a horse at Bryce, but some of the riders were on mules.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,991 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: horseback riding at Bryce Canyon

Like OH, it's been a few years since I did the ride there, but I doubt that it has changed much, and I suspect that the ride we did has been a trail in use for decades.

As noted, the concessionaire is tried and true. The employees are pros at matching riders to mounts and safety is paramount. The rides into the canyon are awesome, but the rim rides are equally as exciting and enjoyable.

Among the NPs in the southwest this would be my top pick for a short riding experience. Of course nothing can compare to a mule trip to Phantom Ranch at the Grand Canyon. But if you want the best one day ride, do it at Bryce.

Manchester
Level Contributor
66 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: horseback riding at Bryce Canyon

Would people who have done it say it is better to ride the Peekaboo loop than hike it? I looked at the half day ride, but as I ride pretty often and it all looked a bit nose to tail, plus it seemed pretty expensive at $80, I was thinking we might be better saving the money and hiking the loop instead. I was also concerned that on the trail ride there wouldn't really be time to stop for photos etc, so I might end up wishing I'd walked it/gong back later to walk it again.

Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: horseback riding at Bryce Canyon

Thanks to all for your opinions. I am excited about the trail ride, and probably more excited than my husband is. I need to find out more about the peekaboo trail. How long is it? How far does the trail ride go? I would guess that the 2 1/2 hour would not go all the way.

We plan to do the full moon walk that night if we can book tickets in the AM. I just might be too sore to hike that in the evening?????

You are all so knowledgeable. Thanks so much.

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: horseback riding at Bryce Canyon

Queen, I loved hiking the Peekaboo trail, accessing it from the Navajo loop early in the morning before many people were on the trail--in fact, once I was at the junction for the Peekaboo, I didn't see anyone else until I ran into the horse/mule ride at their stopover point. It's a wonderful walk, and from high on the trail, you can see so much. I'm not a rider so did the hike while my sister rode. She does ride fairly often but doesn't really consider herself much of a rider--so the nose to tail was fine with her. (I exited the hike via Queen's Garden rather than continuing the Navajo loop; by then the Navajo and Queens Garden trails were pretty crowded.) My sister and I finished about the same time.

Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: horseback riding at Bryce Canyon

I am not to familiar with TA. I could not find your sister's posts. Would you let me know how to get to them. I'm sure it's easy, but not for me! Thanks.

Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: horseback riding at Bryce Canyon

Sorry. That question was directed to VCV. Thanks again.

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: horseback riding at Bryce Canyon

Mainer, Here's the link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28924-i139-k48649…

My sister's comment are in the middle of Day 8. (She wroteabout the AZ and UT rides in one long narrative, so I put her comment in the AZ forum--you'll need to go past the first days in the AZ post to get to it--if you have trouble finding it, send me a private message--click on my username and go to my profile and then click on "send a message.")

Edited: 04 March 2012, 01:24