We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

?s on Canyon Overlook trail

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
?s on Canyon Overlook trail

About how long does it take/how many miles from the visitor's center to the Canyon Overlook trail and is parking on the right or left side right after you exit the tunnel? I was originally planning on doing that with my husband when he gets out of a conference on 3/21 at 5 pm so he could do the driving along the windy road and I could enjoy the scenery. Would the light really be so bad in early evening that we shouldn't bother? I really don't want to get up early enough to hike it at sunrise like someone suggested.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,610 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ?s on Canyon Overlook trail

Never timed it, but its probably around 20-25 minutes give or take from the visitor center to the parking lot.

As soon as you exit the tunnel, the parking lot is on your right.Then walk across the road to the trail that starts behind the ranger shack.

If you should happen to pass that lot, and can find a place to turn around, there is limited parking on the other side of the road also.

If you miss that parking on the ranger shack side of the road heading back toward the tunnel,you can't make a left turn anymore into the regular parking lot.At least that's how it was a few months ago last time I was there.

You will be fine with the light in the evening, the view is good any time you go.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
629 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ?s on Canyon Overlook trail

I just returned from Zion today and did this quick hike on Tues 3/12. The parking is just as dez described...we also did the hike in the late afternoon/evening and the first lot on the right was full...but just past that lot there was room on the left. And the estimated time for driving from Visitor's Center also sounds right, although it will depend a bit on how the tunnel is running.

The evening light was fantastic. There was a pair of ravens putting on quite a show all around the overlook that was something else. We sat there for a good 45 min before heading back down. Good luck!

3. Re: ?s on Canyon Overlook trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 07:42